Men's Lacrosse Edged by Yale in OT, 14-13

Box Score (PDF)

PHILADELPHIA - The Penn men's lacrosse team was up by as much as five in the first half Saturday vs. Yale; held a three-goal advantage early in the fourth quarter; fell behind in the final minute before tying it; then fell in overtime to the Bulldogs, 14-13, at Franklin Field.

In a game that was chock full of offense, Penn had three players score three goals (Craig Andrzejewski, Garvey Heiderman, Casey O'Rourke) and another put up five points (Corey Winkoff had two goals and three assists). For Yale, Michael Karwoski had five goals and an assist, while Matt Gibson had three goals and three assists and Gregory Mahony scored three goals.

After giving up the first goal, Penn reeled off three consecutive as Winkoff sandwiched a pair around Alex Weber late in the first quarter. Yale got one of those goals back in the last seven seconds of the first, then scored twice in the first minutes of the second to take a 4-3 lead.

Penn blew up after that. O'Rourke scored with 13:12 left in the half, then Andrzejewski hit a pair of goals two minutes apart. O'Rourke dented the net again, and then Heiderman finished a Winkofffeed.Yale finally broke the streak, but Heiderman came back with two more in a 1:24 span and it was 10-5, Quakers.

Yale slowly climbed back, as Mahony scored late in the first half and then Brian Douglass and Gibson netted goals midway through the third period to make the score 10-8. Penn's Al Kohart and Yale's Alex Forrey matched goals in the final minute of the third quarter, and when Andrzejewski netted a feed from Winkoff with 10 minutes left in the game it was 12-9, Penn.

Yale stunned the Franklin Field crowd, scoring four in a row to take the lead. Mahony got the run started with 9:32 to go, and then Gibson scored an unassisted goal a minute later. Karwoski tied the game with 3:33 left on an assist from Gibson, and then Mahony gave Yale its first lead since 4-3 with just 51 seconds left in regulation on an unassisted effort. Penn was not finished, however, and O'Rourke tied things up with just 15 seconds left on an unassisted goal.

Yale needed little time in the overtime to end things, however, as Karwoski ended the game with an unassisted goal just 11 seconds in.

The Quakers return to action next weekend with a pair of games in New England. On Saturday they are at Harvard in another Ivy League contest, and then on Sunday Penn will take on Bryant University. Both games will have a 1 p.m. faceoff.

Download: Penn04 (Yale).pdf