Men's Lacrosse Falls to Brown, 12-9

Box Score (PDF)

PHILADELPHIA - After falling behind to Brown, 4-1, early in the second quarter on Saturday, the Penn men's lacrosse team fought back to tie the game by halftime at 4-4.

In the second half, the teams were tied at 5-5. And 6-6. And 7-7. And 8-8. And after Brown went up 9-8, it looked like Penn was going to tie things up again when Rob McMullen got loose in front of the goal and was fed a pass.

Unfortunately, McMullen was too quick on the quick-stick, and was unable to get a handle on the feed. Even more unfortunate, Brown defenseman Roger Ferguson scooped up the ground ball and was off to the races. He fed Parker Brown on the fast break, Brown pottedthe shot past Penn goalie Joe Hegener, and just like that it was 10-8. The Bears went on to win the game played at Franklin Field, 12-9.

With the win, 20th-ranked Brown improved to 5-4 overall, 2-1 in the Ivy League. Hard-luck Penn fell to 4-7 overall, and remains winless in the Ivies at 0-4.

John Conneely finished with four points (2g, 2a) to lead Penn, while Dan Savage also had two goals. Corey Winkoff had a goal and an assist. For Brown, Andrew Feinberg had four goals, Thomas Muldoon had three, and Reade Seligmann had four assists.

Muldoon and Al Kohart matched goals to start Saturday's game, but then Brown scored twice in a 21-second span to take a 3-1 lead after one quarter. In the second, Rob Schlesinger pushed the Bears lead to three, before Conneely hit an unassisted tally and Tim Schwalje finished a Winkoff feed to make it 4-3. With just seconds left before halftime, Penn came out of a timeout and Conneely powered his way to an unassisted goal to send the teams to the locker rooms knottedat 4.

Brown scored for Brown, making it 5-4, but Savage matched that less than a minute later. Nearly eight minutes went by after that before Muldoon scored in a man-up situation, but that was matched a minute later by Winkoff. Savage then gave Penn its first and only lead of the day on an unassisted effort with 3:03 left in the third. It tookBrown less than a minute to answer -- Muldoon finishing a Collins Carey feed -- and then Feinberg scored off a Seligmann pass to put the Bears up 8-7 heading into the final stanza.

McMullen knotted the game at 8 just 37 seconds in, but David Hawley put Brown up with 11:56 left in the game. It was four minutes after that, with 7:45 to play, that Ferguson fed Brown to push the Bears ahead by two. Four more minutes would go by before Muldoon scored unassisted, and then Feinberg capped Brown's scoring with just 42 seconds left. Rob Fitzpatrick scored for Penn with 30 seconds left in a man-up situation, but it was not enough.

Brown outshot Penn, 34-32, and forced Hegener to make10 saves in the Quaker cage. At the other end, Matt Chriss had 12 stops to get the win.

Penn returns to action next Saturday, hosting Harvard in its home finale. That game will begin at 1 p.m., and be televised on Comcast Network in the Philadelphia area and Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic in Baltimore/D.C.

Download: Penn11 (Brown).pdf