Men's Lacrosse Falls to Princeton, 10-5

Box Score

PHILADELPHIA - With just five minutes gone in Tuesday night's men's lacrosse game between Penn and Princeton, the Quakers were flying high with a 2-0 lead on Franklin Field.

By the time they scored again, barely three minutes were left in the third quarter. When Casey O'Rourke was able to bury a shot past Princeton goalkeeper Alex Hewit, it ended a scoreless streak of 37 minutes and 40 seconds.

In between Penn's second and third goals, meanwhile, No. 6 Princeton methodically reeled off eight unanswered scores of its own, and left Franklin Field with a 10-5 victory.

The win was the sixth in a row for the Tigers (7-2, 2-0 Ivy), while the Quakers fell to 5-5 overall and 2-3 in the Ivy League.

Penn came out fired up to start Tuesday night's game, and drew first blood when J.J. Lian scored an unassisted goal just 1:31 into the contest. Just 1:43 later, Alex Salihi took a feed from Craig Andrzejewski and found the back of the goal in an extra-man situation to give the Quakers the 2-0 lead they would hold for the remainder of the first quarter.

In fact, it took Princeton more than 21 minutes to get on the scoreboard -- only problem was, once they got there they never looked back. Tommy Davis got the Tigers' first goal with 8:41 left in the half, and then knotted the score at 2-2on an unassisted goal with 6:24 to play.

Whitney Hayes gave Princeton the lead -- for good, as it turned out -- just three minutes after Davis' second goal, and then a killer came when Alex Haynie finished a Peter Trombino feed with just 12 seconds left before the break. That gave the Tigers a 4-2 advantage heading into the second half.

In the third quarter, while Penn continued to struggle with its offense, Princeton put it away. Scott Sowanick scored an unassisted goal five minutes into the stanza, followed less than a minute later by Josh Lesko's unassisted effort. Just 1:21 after that, Trombino netted his first goal of the night off a Mike Gaudio feed, and then Sowanick finished another unassisted effort less than two minutes later. Suddenly, with 6:17 still to go in the third, it was 8-2, Tigers.

Three more minutes would roll by before O'Rourke broke Penn's scoreless string, and the Quakers briefly stirred to life again when Drew Collins rifled home a Salihi feed with 1:34 still left in the period. However, Princeton quelled any hopes of a comeback when Davis finished a Trombino feed with just 26 seconds left.

In the fourth, Princeton went to its patented control offense and took just more than four minutes to score again, as Trombino went unassisted. Salihi closed out the scoring for Penn, finishing an Andrzejewski feed for his second goal and third point of the night with 7:51 to play.

Penn played Princeton pretty evenly, as the Tigers outshot the Quakers just 30-29. however, Penn put just 10 of its 29 shots on goal, while Princeton put 18 on target. Chris Casey had eight saves for the Quakers, while at the other end Hewit made five stops.

Penn closes out its Ivy League season Saturday, traveling to No. 20 Brown for a 1 p.m. faceoff. The Bears were upset Tuesday night, 9-6, at Harvard.