Men's Lacrosse Loses After Furious Comeback, 11-10

Box Score

BALTIMORE, Md. - One year ago, the Penn men's lacrosse team staged a furious rally to gain an overtime win over UMBC at Franklin Field.

Saturday afternoon, playing at the Retrievers' UMBC Stadium, it looked like deja vu all over again when the Quakers scored four of the last five goals of regulation, including two in the final 30 seconds, to again force overtime.

However, after nearly eight minutes of extra play, it was UMBC's Cayle Ratcliffe who settled the score for the Retrievers. His goal, with just 14 seconds left in the second overtime period, was the difference as UMBC escaped with an 11-10 victory.

The loss was Penn's second in a row after a 3-0 start to the season. UMBC improved to 3-2.

Penn was down, 9-6, with eight minutes left in regulation, but Chris Harms scored off a feed from David Cornbrooks with 7:52 to play. Nearly four minutes went by before the Quakers struck again, this time when Cornbrooks finished an Alex Salihi feed to cut the deficit to one.

The final minute proved to be a wild one. It appeared UMBC's Andy Gallagher put the game on ice when he scored with 54 seconds left on a Ratcliffe feed, but Garvey Heiderman got one back for Penn with 30 seconds to play and then Salihi tied things up off a Craig Andrzejewski feed with just eight ticks left.

In the first overtime period, Casey O'Rourke had a shot that UMBC goalie Jeremy Blevins stopped, and then a pair of Drew Collins efforts were off the mark. At the other end, Penn goalie Chris Casey -- making his first collegiate start -- was equal to the task when Alex Hopmann tested him, and O'Rourke got a final effort before the horn that was off the mark.

J.J. Lian and O'Rourke missed the target to start the second overtime,beforeCasey stymied UMBC's Josh Porcell at the other end. With the clock windingdown into the final minute of the period, Heiderman had a shot that Blevins saved, and following a good clear Ratcliffe was able to slam the door shut with his sixth goal of the game andend things.

Unlike last year's game, it was Penn who got outto the good start on Saturday. O'Rourke and Salihi gave the Quakers a 2-0 lead in the first three minutes of the contest. The offense slowed down after that, however, and UMBC drew level when Ratcliffe scored with 3:13 left in the period. The Retrievers' Bobby Atwell then tied things in the second minute of the second quarter.

Penn rallied with thenext three goals, as Andrzejewski found the cage twice and Heiderman scored his first of the dayto put the Quakers up, 5-2. However, before the half ended the Retrievers got two of the goals back, from Hopmann and then Ratcliffe (with just onesecond left on the clock).

In the third quarter, UMBCkept the momentum. Hopmann scored with 12:15 left, and then less than two minutes later Ratcliffe scored in a man-up situation to give the Retrievers a 6-5 lead. Andrzejewski brieflyquelled the run, scoring his team-high third of the gamejust 32 seconds after Ratcliffe's goal, but then UMBC went on a three-goal spree that put them up 9-6. Drew Westervelt put the Retrievers up, then Ratcliffe scored twice -- once in a man-up, and once at even strength.

Casey had an impressive outing in his first collegiate start, coming up with 12 saves. That total was matched by Blevins at the other end. Penn outshot UMBC on the day, 36-35, and behind Ricky Choi won 17 of the game's 25 faceoffs.

Penn is back in action a week from Saturday, opening the Ivy League season with Yale at Franklin Field. Faceoff is scheduled for noon.