Men's Lacrosse Shut Down by Maryland, 9-4

Box Score

PHILADELPHIA - Last weekend, the Penn men’s lacrosse team ran into a hot goalie, and that was the difference in a loss to Brown.

Saturday afternoon at Maryland’s Ludwig Field, the Quakers ran into an even hotter goalie.

Terrapin goalkeeper Brian Phipps made a career-high 17 saves and allowed just one goal, a virtuoso performance, as the hosts completely shut down the Quakers, 9-4.

Phipps was replaced late in the game -- nearly 51 minutes after allowing his only goal of the day -- and it was after that point that Penn was finally able to dent the net again.

In fact, technically you could say that Phipps did not allow any goals Saturday -- the Quakers’ only tally while he was on the field came on a bizarre play. Phipps was controlling the ball in his stick just outside the crease in front of his goal, and Penn attackman Corey Winkoff came up and popped the ball out of Phipps’ stick and it went into the goal. Winkoff was credited with an unassisted goal on the play.

The Terps looked like they were going to cruise in this game, scoring twice in the first four minutes on goals by Max Ritz (from Travis Reed) and Jeremy Sieverts (from Grant Catalino).

After Penn's first goal cut Maryland's lead in half, the teams went more than 17 minutes without a goalalthough both had several opportunities. Maryland finally broke the goalless skein, when Chris Rhine finished a Reed feed off a fast-break clear. Less than two minutes later, Catalino came across the middle, received a feed from Reed, and fired a shot past Penn goalie Chris Casey. The half ended with Maryland on top, 4-1.

The Terps opened the second-half scoring three minutes into the third quarter, when Dan Groot scored unassisted. Nearly seven minutes went by before a team found the back of the net again, and once again it was Maryland, as Ritz emerged from a scrum in front of the Penn goal with a ground ball that he fed to Scott Tompkins, who was wide open in front and easily beat a defenseless Casey.

Penn committed its first penalty of the game late in the third, and the Terps made the Quakers pay when Catalino finished a feed from Brett Weiss (brother of Penn’s Brian Weiss) for a 7-1 lead.

Just before the end of the stanza, Adam Sear rocketed a shot past Casey from the left side to make it 8-1. Reed assisted on the goal, his fourth dish of the day. Then, off the faceoff to start the fourth quarter, the Terps struck again when Jeff Reynolds finished a feed from Bryn Holmes.

With Phipps on the bench, Penn finally got untracked late in the game. Garvey Heiderman ended a 51:12 goalless streak, finishing a Winkoff feed, and then shortly after that Al Kohart scored off a pass from Heiderman in a man-up situation. Off the ensuing faceoff, Maryland was again called for a penalty, and this time Alex Weber took a nice feed from Craig Andrzejewski to close out the scoring.

Casey had a solid day of his own Saturday, coming up with nine saves for the Quakers including six in the first half to keep his team in the contest. On the day, Penn outshot Maryland, 43-32.

Penn returns to the Old Line State again next weekend, traveling to Towson to take on the unranked Tigers. Faceoff will be Saturday at 1 p.m., and the game will be televised live in the Baltimore area on WMAR (Channel 2).