Men's Lacrosse Stuns Saint Joseph's in OT, 11-10

Follow @PennMensLax

PHILADELPHIA - It may be a new year for the University of Pennsylvania men’s lacrosse team, but it looks like the “Cardiac Quakers” might be up to some of their old tricks.

On Tuesday night, the 14th-ranked Quakers were down 7-0 in the first half and 9-4 after three quarters at local rival Saint Joseph’s (1-2). However, they came all the way back to take a 10-9 lead in regulation, allowed the Hawks to tie it, then stopped three SJU chances before Nick Doktor scored on a brilliant individual effort to give Penn the 11-10 victory at Sweeney Field.

Penn (2-0) was able to get within 8-3 by halftime, as Isaac Bock opened Penn’s scoring with 10:24 to play in the second quarter and then Joe McCallion netted a pair of goals less than a minute apart. In the third quarter, Reilly Hupfeldt scored a man-up goal but that was matched by SJU’s Kyle Bruun.

Penn did not need a lot of time to draw level in the fourth. Freshman long-stick middie Connor Keating got the offense started just 59 seconds into the period, and then McCallion netted his third of the night 1:11 after that. Nick Doktor made it 9-7 with 10:13 to play in the quarter, and just 39 seconds after that Austin Kreinz scored his first of the night to make it 9-8. The comeback was complete with 7:05 still left to play, when Chris Hupfeldt beat his man along the left side and ripped a shot.

Kevin McGeary then gave Penn its first lead of the ngiht with 5:09 to go with an unassisted goal -- in fact, all six goals in the period were unassisted -- but Saint Joseph’s was able to right the ship momentarily when Kevin Forster beat John Lopes with 3:45 left in regulation.

Saint Joseph’s had a chance to win it at the end of regulation, but a great defensive play by Penn knocked the ball out of the stick of a point-blank shooter with the clock nearing triple zeroes. That sent the contest to overtime.

Saint Joseph’s won the opening faceoff in the extra session, and after a lengthy possession the Hawks put two shots on goal that John Lopes fended off. Chris Hilburn then forced a turnover and got the ball into the offensive zone for Penn, and after a timeout the Quakers used a long possession that ended with Doktor’s coming around the right post from behind the goal and beating SJU goalkeeper Pat Dallon to the stick side.

Jimmy Sestilio once again got the start in goal and did what he could to keep Penn alive in the opening half, making nine saves as SJU outshot Penn 25-16. Lopes came on at halftime and finished with three saves -- including the two in overtime -- as the Quakers defense clamped down and allowed just seven shots after the break.

Penn is off until next Tuesday, when the Quakers will hit the road to face No. 7 Maryland. The Quakers and the Terps will face off at 5 p.m.

Download: Penn02 (@SJU).pdf