Men's Lacrosse Stymied by Brown, 8-5

Box Score

PHILADELPHIA - Penn knew that it was facing arguably the top goalkeeper in the nation Saturday in Brown's Jordan Burke, and that it was going to take a supreme effort to beat him -- after all, Burke entered the game leading the nation in save percentage and goals-against average.

With that in mind, the Quakers threw everything but the kitchen sink at the 16th-ranked Bears, taking 57 shots on the day -- a season high by 14. Penn distributed its shots pretty evenly, too, taking 14 in the first quarter, 13 in the second, 12 in the third, and 18 in a frantic fourth.

Unfortunately, the quantity ended up outweighing the quality (if by quality you mean shots that found the back of the net).

Penn scored just five times, Burke saved 19 others, and that combination proved to be too much as the Bears -- with only 22 shots -- pulled out an 8-5 decision on Franklin Field.

With its second loss in four days, Penn fell to 5-5 overall and finished 3-3 in the Ivy League. Brown, meanwhile, extended its winning streak to seven games and is now 8-2 overall, 3-0 in the Ivy League.

Penn looked like it was in good shapeafter the first quarter, taking a 2-1 lead and outshooting Brown 14-5. Al Kohart got the Quakers on the board less than three minutes into the contest, finishing a feed from Craig Andrzejewski, and then nearly 10 minutes clocked off the board before Brown tied it on a Brady Williams goal. However, Kohart -- who took a staggering 16 shots in the game -- came back with his second goal of the day just before the end of the period.

In the second, Casey O'Rourke busted a shot over Burke's left shoulder midway through the period to give Penn a 3-1 lead. However, the Bears caught a break a few minutes later on a Penn miscue, which gave Thomas Muldoon the ball near midfield with a wide-open Jack Walsh rushing to the goal. Muldoon found Walsh, and he beat Penn goalie Chris Casey to make it 3-2. Then, with just under two minutes remaining before halftime, Brown scored just as the Quakers were getting back to even strength after a penalty, and the break came with the score tied, 3-3.

Brown took its first lead just 1:03 into the third, when Walsh finished an Andrew Feinberg pass for his second goal of the day. Five minutes later, Feinberg knocked one home himself, unassisted, to make it 5-3. Alex Weber broke the Bears' four-goal run with a finish of a J.J. Lian feed, and the third quarter ended with Brown up, 5-4.

Once again in the fourth, Brown struck quickly -- just 1:29 in, Kyle Hollingsworth tallied unassisted. The teams then went nearly nine minutes without a goal, before the Bears scored a backbreaker when Walsh finished a Zach Caldwell feed to make the score 7-4. With 3:06 to play, Andrzejewski scored an unassisted goal, but that was all the Quakers could muster, and Brown closed out the scoring on a Hollingsworth score into an empty goal as Penn pressed defensively to get the ball back.

Penn is back in action next Saturday, traveling to Maryland to take on the No.7 Terps. The game is slated for 1 p.m. on Maryland's Ludwig Field, and will be televised live on CN8, a regional cable station that stretches from New England down to the Washington, D.C. area.