Men's Lacrosse Stymies No. 20 Harvard, 12-7

Box Score (PDF)

PHILADELPHIA - WhenSaturday's men's lacrosse game between Harvard and Penn reached the halftime horn, the Quakers had to be wondering what was going on. At that point, the Quakers had outshot the Crimson 21-10 -- but the score was tied, 4-4, thanks to a goal in the final second by Harvard's Jason Duboe.

Whatever the Red and Blue was thinking, they came out of the locker room and remedied it in the third quarter. Penn scored all five goals scored in that stanza --all of them in the in the first nine minutes -- and while it got a little nervy down the stretch the Quakers made those goals stand up for a 12-7 win at Franklin Field.

The win was Penn's first in the Ivy League under first-year head coach Mike Murphy, and put the Quakers at 5-7 overall, 1-4 in the Ivy League. Harvard, which entered the game ranked 20th nationally, fell to 5-5 overall, 1-3 Ivy.

So what did Penn do differently in the third quarter? Well, the answer may have been Joe Hegener. The sophomore stopped justtwo shots in the game's first 30 minutes, but came up with six saves in the third and then addedfour more in the final quarter. That certainly seemed to keep Harvard at bay.

The teams traded goals twice in the opening period, starting with Duboe and Al Kohart scoring three minutes apiece midway through the stanza. Duboe netted his second of the day a minute after Kohart's first, but Kohart again matched him, this time with 58 seconds left in the quarter.

In the second, John Conneely netted an unassisted goal just 1:36 into the period that was matched a minute later by Harvard's Alex White. The teams then went almost the entire rest of the quarter without scoring, before Corey Winkoff finished a Will Amling feed with 23 seconds left. Unfortunately, Duboe had the answer just before the clock wound down.

Conneely got Penn's run started in the third, with 12:56 to go, and then 50 seconds later Amling finished a Tim Schwalje feed to make the score 6-4. Conneely's third goal of the day came with 8:18 left, and 40 seconds after that Dan Savage netted an unassisted goal that put the Quakers up, 8-4. Kohart's third of the day came with 6:22 left off a Morgan Griff feed. The teams went into the fourth quarter with Penn up, 9-4.

Harvard immediately got one back when Dean Gibbons scored in the first minute of the final period, and then a little more than three minutes later Peter Schwartz finished a Jeff Cohen feed to make the score 9-6. Schwalje got one of those back off a Jacob Bock feed with 8:16 to play, but Gibbons netted his second of the quarter with 6:41 to go after Penn was called for three penalties at the same time and gave the Crimson a 6-on-3 opportunity. That goal made the score 10-7.

Four uncomfortable minutes went by before Penn finally got control of things. Down the stretch, Kohart and then Amling were able toscore what were essentially empty-net goals as Harvard was forced to defend the Quakers' keepaway game.

Kohart finished the day with four goals, while Conneely had three goals and an assist. Schwalje hada goal and two assists, while Amling had two goals and an assist. For Harvard, Duboe had three goals while Gibbons had two and Schwartz had two points (1g, 1a).

Harry Krieger was in goal for Harvard, and finished with 10 saves. Penn outshot Harvard 42-27.

Penn will conclude the 2010 season next Saturday at Dartmouth. That game is slated to begin at 1 p.m.

Download: Penn12 (Harvard).pdf