Men's Soccer Comes Back to Tie SDSU, 2-2

In-Game Blog

Box Score (PDF)

SAN DIEGO, Calif.--The Quaker men's soccer team took an early lead, but fell behind in the second at San Diego State. Freshman Alex Tuch scored to tie the game in the 86th minute and the teams went on to settle on a 2-2 tie.

Senior Alex Takakuwa put the Quakers on the board in the 28th minute after redirecting a long throw from Zach Barnett. The Quakers kept that lead through the rest of the half with keeper Ben Berg making three big saves for the Red and Blue; he had four in the game.

After the break, however, San Diego State put together two quick goals in the opening seven minutes of the half. First, on a through ball put away to low corner and then on a set piece corner kick. Now with the lead, the Aztecs clamped down on the Quakers and slowed the pace.

Penn for its part had trouble getting good chances until the final 20 minutes of the game, coinciding with Tuch's entrance to the match. The newcomer took five shots in the game and provided the Quakers with a much needed spark. Also marking SDSU sweat the waning minutes was Tobi Olopade who set-up several scoring chances.

Finally, with just 4:13 remaining in regulation, Olopade crossed from the left just as Tuch snuck in to the goalmouth to finish and knot the score at two. Though SDSU mounted a fierce attack in the final minute, the Quakers were able to keep the ball out of the net and force overtime.

In the overtime, both teams had chances at scoring. Olopade had a beautiful shot that had just a little too much spin and an SDSU-friendly gust of wind that pushed it up and skipped it off the top of the crossbar. In the second overtime period, the junior drew a foul to give Penn another opportunity. Sophomore Nick Unger found Tuch in close again, but this time Aztec keeper Brad Byrns got enough of a hand on the shot to keep the game going.

The Quakers are now 0-1-2 on the season and will face the University of San Diego Sunday at 2 p.m. PT (5 p.m. ET).

Download: Penn03 (@SDSU).pdf