Men's Soccer Draws With Cornell, 2-2

Box Score (PDF)

PHILADELPHIA -Welcome to the Ivy League, Jaro Zawislan.

If Cornell's first-year head coach learned anything Saturday night at Rhodes Field, it was this: Ivy League games are knock-down, drag-out affairs. And you never know quite what you are going to get.

Zawislan-- and Penn head coach Rudy Fuller, a veteran of these matches --would be hard-pressed to top whatthey saw Saturday, as Penn came back twice onthe Big Red, the second time while playing a man down, and earned a 2-2 draw.

With the tie, Penn moved to 3-3-3 overall while Cornell is now 4-3-2. The match was the Ivy League opener for both sides.

The first half was devoid of many chances, as each team had one stellar opportunity. In the 20th minute, Loukas Tasigianis slalomed a few defenders along the left wing and took a shot that beat Cornell goalkeeper Scott Brody but slammed the crossbar and fell harmlessly away. With 12 minutes left in the stanza, the Big Red's Matt Bouraee broke free just past midfield and had a breakaway opportunity, but Ben Berg was able to thwart his shot from 20 yards out as a Penn defender arrived on the scene.

It did not take long for the fireworks to start after that.

Just three minutes into the second stanza, Cornell got on the board when Chase Aaronson beat Penn goalkeeper Ben Berg with a shot. Matt Bouraee and Ben Kenyon were credited with assists.

Penn got that goal back 10 minutes later when Christian Barreiro was able to convert a shot past Big Red goalkeeper Scott Brody. Shortly after that, Penn nearly grabbed the lead when captain Lee Rubenstein headed a corner kick back across the goalmouth that beat Brody but was cleared off the line by a Cornell defender.

The match took one of its strangest turns in the 72nd minute when Rubenstein was shown an immediate red card for a foul near midfield. With the crowd still voicing its disapproval to the referee, Cornell went up 2-1 when a cross from the left side was headed in by a wide-open Kyle Parsons at the far post.

Just when it seemed like Penn was going to lose this fight, though, the Quakers responded. With just over 10 minutes left in regulation, Tobi Olopade threaded a ball between two Cornell defenders that Alex Takakuwa was able to run onto. With Brody coming out to face him, Takakuwa calmly slotted a shot over the goalie's left shoulder and into the far corner to tie the match.

That set up a furious finish that was rife with fouls, yellow and red cards -- including one to Zawislan -- and a few excellent chances for both sides. Of particular note, in the second extra session Berg was forced to come up big on two occasions including a diving stop on a Ben Kenyon header from 15 yards out.

Penn outshot Cornell, 16-9, and both teams had seven corner kicks. The teams also combined for 52 fouls, there were eight yellow cards, and three reds (Cornell's Brett Sumpio was given the gate early in the second overtime).

Penn returns to action Tuesday, hosting Lehigh at 7:30 p.m.

Download: Penn09 (Cornell).pdf