Men's Soccer Draws with La Salle, 1-1

Box Score

PHILADELPHIA--By all statistical accounts, the Penn men's soccer team should have been the winner in Sunday's 1-1 tie with La Salle in the Penn Soccer Classic. The Quakers outshot the Explorers 21-7 but came out of the weekend 1-3-1 on the season. La Salle also set its record at 1-3-1.

Turning in a win and a tie on the weekend, Penn claimed its fourth consecutive Penn Soccer Classic title. Though both Penn and Lafayette had a win and a tie, the tournament rules stipulate tiebreakers on goal differential and total goals scored. The Quakershad the advantage with three goals on the weekend to Lafayette's one.

The first half was evenly matched with two shots for each team. Neither scoredby the timethey split at the half, though Penn's Drew Healy made one save.

The second 45:00 saw much more action with Penn putting seven shots on goal and scoring with one of them.

Junior Alex Fairman served a free kick into a scrum in front of the goal. Senior defender and tri-captain Keith Vereb flicked the ball in with a header at 56:32 to put the Quakers ahead.

Junior Richard Frank had nearly got the Red and Blue on the board hitting the crossbar minutes before, at 52:29.

While Penn continued to threaten with scoring chances and pepper La Salle with shots, the clock wore on.

With less than 10 minutes to play, the Explorers looked desperate for a goal. Jim Davis gave them one at 83:23 and knotted the score. Daniel Heavey was credited with the assist.

Both teams fought to avoid overtime battling for balls and making bold moves to the goal. Andrew Ferry made a charge at the net but was tangled up with La Salle's keeper, Kyle Quigley. With justaminute left in regualtion, both left the game injured. The Explorers brought in Dan Pfeiffer to defend the goal inovertime.

The Quakers continuted their dominance in the extra minutes, outshooting La Salle 8-1. Pfeiffer made four saves--three in the second OT--to keep the Explorers alive.

Juniors Mike Klein andFrankhadshots saved inthe second overtime. Senior Derek Hobson was almost the match-winner again as he headed a ball served by Jeff Livingston. Pfeiffermade the save with a deflection and preserved a tie.

Penn got one final crack at the goal with a free kick with five seconds on the clock. Keeper Healy came out of goal to fight for a shot at the win and connected with the ball, but sent it high over the net.

Healy made four saves in the tie and for La Salle, Quigley made seven and Pfeiffer made four.

The Quakers stay at home for their next match. Hosting Lehigh, Penn will try to avenge last season's 2-0 loss in Bethlehem, Pa. The match is set for Saturday, Sept. 22 at 7:30 p.m.