NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Penn men's squash team topped Franklin and Marshall, 6-3, Saturday afternoon to advance to the finals of the B Division of the College Squash Association Team Championships. The Quakers will play the second seeded Williams College tomorrow at noon for the Hoehn Cup.
Despite the Diplomats earning wins in the top three ladder positions, the Quakers won out the rest of the lineup to overcome F&M for the second time this season. The Red and Blue clinched an 8-1 victory on Dec. 2 in just their third match of the season.
The Quakers found trouble in the de Melo brothers, Gabriel and Guillherme, in the number one and two positions, as they defeated freshman Dan Greenberg 3-0 and senior Mark Froot 3-1. Sophomore Trevor McGuinness battled back from being down a game to take a 2-1 advantage after a 14-12 and 6-11 victories in games two and three. However, Sadiq Madraswala recovered to win the final two games 11-2 and 11-7.
Besides that, the Quakers owned the courts with 3-0 wins from No. 4 James Clark, No. 5 Porter Drake, and No. 9 Akhilesh Nayak. Zuhaib Mohiuddin and Brooks Russell won thier contests 3-1, while junior William Browne showed a lot of character as he bounced back from an 0-2 game deficit to win the final three games, 11-3, 12-10, and 11-9, to clinch a five-game dogfight in the No. 8 spot.
Again, the Red and Blue will face a familiar face tomorrow in Williams College. Penn defeated the Ephs 5-4 on Jan. 16 in Williamstown, Mass.
#9 Pennsylvania 6, #12 Franklin & Marshall 3
1. Gabriel de Melo (F&M) def. Dan Greenberg (PENN) 3-0 (11-3, 11-6, 11-5)
2. Guillherme de Melo (F&M) def. Mark Froot (PENN) 3-1 (9-11, 11-2, 13-11, 11-9)
3. Sadiq Madraswala (F&M) def. Trevor McGuinness (PENN) 3-2 (11-8, 12-14, 6-11, 11-2, 11-7)
4. James Clark (PENN) def. Juan Diego Lopez (F&M) 3-0 (11-9, 13-11, 11-8)
5. Porter Drake (PENN) def. Zarir Aibara (F&M) 3-0 (11-6, 11-9, 13-11)
6. Zuhaib Mohiuddin (PENN) def. Pat Cunningham (F&M) 3-1 (10-12, 11-6, 12-10, 11-4)
7. Brooks Russell (PENN) def. Chris Gagnier (F&M) 3-1 (11-7, 14-12, 4-11, 11-4)
8. William Browne (PENN) def. Ben Lurio (F&M) 3-2 (8-11, 12-14, 11-3, 12-10, 11-9)
9. Akhilesh Nayak (PENN) def. Fred Struse (F&M) 3-0 (11-4, 11-3, 11-4)
Pennsylvania 6-7; National ranking #9
Franklin & Marshall 12-10; National ranking #12
Hoehn Cup Semifinals