PHILADELPHIA In their second Big 5 match-up of the spring season, the men’s tennis team dominated Drexel, winning 7-0. With the win, the men snapped a seven game losing streak, and improved to 2-7.
In doubles, freshmen Jeffrey Karsh and Justen Roth got the first win of the day for Penn, and their first win of the year, as they beat Ayushya Wadhwan and Ben Trabin, 8-1 in the No. 3 spot. The next finish for the Quakers, and the match that clinched the doubles point was Joseph Lok and Jonathan Boym’s win over Carlo Pangilinan and Harrison Clare. In the No. 2 spot, 8-3. And juniors Jason Pinsky and Eric Riley beat Omar Laalej and Joe Koebele in the No. 1 spot, 8-4.
In singles, it was again a freshman who earned the first win for the Quakers, as Adam Schwartz handily beat Wadhwan, 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 4 spot. Lok, who was moved up to the No. 2 spot for this match, was the next one to earn a win, as he beat Joe Koebele, 6-4, 6-0. Freshman Alex Vasin made his spring debut for Penn, and won easily in the No. 5 spot, beating Clare 6-0, 6-2. Freshman Simon Bekker won his first match of the year in the No. 3 spot, as he beat Pangilinan, 6-4, 7-6(0). Senior Andy Magnes had another easy win in the No. 6 spot, as he beat Jarrod Popovice, 6-4, 6-2. Boym was playing in the No. 1 spot, and faced off against Laalej in the closest match of the night. After being down 5-3 in the first set, he battled back to take the 7-6(4), 6-4 win, and clinch the sweep for Penn.
Up next, the Quakers will look to continue their winning ways on the road. Their first match is Saturday, March 3 at 1 p.m., at Boise State, a team who they lost to at National Indoors, 4-1.
Penn 7, Drexel 0
1) Jason Pinsky/Eric Riley (Penn) def. Omar Laalej/Joe Koebele (Drexel), 8-4
2) Joseph Lok/Jonathan Boym (Penn) def. Carlo Pangilinan/Harrison Clare (Drexel), 8-3
3) Jeffrey Karsh/Justen Roth (Penn) def. Ayushya Wadhwan/Ben Trabin (Drexel), 8-1
1) Jonathan Boym (Penn) def. Omar Laalej (Drexel), 7-6(4), 6-4
2) Joseph Lok (Penn) def. Joe Koebele (Drexel), 6-4, 6-0
3) Simon Bekker (Penn) def. Carlo Pangilinan (Drexel), 6-4, 7-6(0)
4) Adam Schwartz (Penn) def. Ayushya Wadhwan (Drexel), 6-1, 6-1
5) Alex Vasin (Penn) def. Harrison Clare (Drexel), 6-0, 6-2
6) Andy Magnes (Penn) def. Jarrod Popovice (Drexel), 6-4, 6-2