PHILADELPHIA -- Just before leaving for spring break, the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team added its tenth W to the win column after defeating Radford on Saturday at the Hecht Tennis Center, 5-2. The No. 39 Quakers are now 10-1 and prepare to play Georgia State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, and UT Arlington over the next week.
After sweeping the doubles point for a 1-0 lead, the Highlanders evened the score after junior captain Vim De Alwis retired at No. 1 due to injury. But senior captain Jeremy Court made quick work of his opponent at No. 2 winning 6-2, 6-0 to put the Red and Blue back in the lead.
Sophomore Matt Nardella put Penn within one with a two-set win (6-2, 6-1) at No. 4 and then freshman Josh Pompan sealed the deal with a win at No. 5. Junior Blaine Willenborg also won at the No. 3 spot while sophomore Marshall Sharp dropped a hard fought super tiebreak.
The Quakers will get on a plane and head to New Mexico, where they will first face Georgia State on Sunday at 10 a.m. MT
No. 39 Penn (5), Radford (2)
1. Jeremy Court/Nicholai Westergaard (Penn) def. Patrick O'Keefe/Michiel Meekers (RU), 6-2
2. Marshall Sharp/Matt Nardella (Penn) def. Janken Thoen/Jose Moreno Manzano (RU), 6-2
3. Blaine Willenborg/Vim De Alwis (Penn) def. Samuel Taylor/Nikhil Mannepalli (RU), 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Patrick O'Keefe (Radford) def. Vim De Alwis (Penn), 5-4 (retired)
2. Jeremy Court (Penn) def. Michiel Meekers (Radford), 6-2, 6-0
3. Blaine Willenborg (Penn) def. Jose Moreno Manzano (Radford), 6-1, 6-3
4. Matt Nardella (Penn) def. Nikhil Mannepalli (Radford), 6-2, 6-1
5. Josh Pompan (Penn) def. Samuel Taylor (Radford), 6-1, 6-1
6. Janken Thoen (Radford) def. Marshall Sharp (Penn), 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 6