SEATTLE, Wash. The University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team fell to top ranked Florida 4-1 in their first match ever in the USTA-ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the Lloyd-Nordstrom Tennis Center on the campus of the University of Washington.
Penn took the early lead winning the doubles point. Justin Fox and Brandon O'Gara defeated Nester Briceno and Stefan Tell 8-6. After Jason Pinksy and Joseph Lok dropped their match at the No. 1 position, Jonathan Boym and Mikhail Bekker edged Janne Holmia and Greg Ouellette 8-5 to go up 1-0.
Although the Quakers continued to play tough in singles, they could not hold down the top team in the land much longer. Jimmy Fairbanks, Bekker and Boym all lost in straight sets. With the match ending with the first team to reach four points and three matches still going on, the Red and Blue had their backs up against the wall. It was Chris Brandi’s 6-2, 6-3 win over Fox that sealed the win for the Gators. Pinsky and Boym both held leads in their matches when the match was stopped.
With the loss, Penn falls to 3-3 overall. The Quakers will face Baylor (No. 8) who lost to Duke (No. 9) in consolation play tomorrow at 11 a.m. (est) at the Seattle Tennis Club.
For complete tournament coverage click here.
FLORIDA 4 PENN 1
1. Ryan Sweeting/Vladmir Obradovic (F) def. Jason Pinksy/Joseph Lok (P) 9-7
2. Jonathan Boym/Mikhail Bekker (P) def. Janne Holmia/Greg Oullette (F) 8-5
3. Justin Fox/Brandon O'Gara (P) def. Nester Briceno/Stefan Tell (F) 8-6
1. Jason Pinsky (P) Ryan Sweeting (F) 6-4, 5-5, DNF
2. Greg Oullette (F) def. Mikhail Bekker (P) 6-3, 6-1
3. Jonathan Boym (P) Janne Holmia (F) 6-4, 5-1, DNF
4. Nester Briceno (F) def. Joseph Lok (P) 7-6(4), 6-3
5. Chris Brandi (F) def. Justin Fox (P) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ryan Sherry (F) def. Jimmy Fairbanks (P) 6-2, 6-1