PHILADELPHIA - The Penn men's tennis team made an easy go of it on Friday afternoon, holding on for the opening doubles point and then waxing the visiting Stony Brook Seawolves in singles, winning all six matches without dropping a set on its way to a 7-0 win. The Quakers improve to 3-1 on the young season with the win.
As the No. 2 doubles team of Jeremy Court and Vim De Alwis put a bow on their 8-1 win, it seemed Penn was in good shape regardless of how the action in No. 1 doubles turned out. That was because at No. 3, Austin Kaplan and Sylvester Wee held a 7-1 lead on the opposition and seemed assured of closing things out. But six consecutive games from the Seawolves pair knotted the score at 7-7 and forced the match into a tiebreaker. Luckily for Penn, the No. 1 duo of Zach Katz and Nikola Kocovic were able to close out their match to assure the Quakers of the point. Kaplan and Wee were ultimately able to recover and closed out their match in the subsequent tiebreaker, 11-9.
Things ran much more smoothly from there on out. After sitting out the doubles matches, Ismael Lahlou and Blaine Willenborg showed the advantages of fresh legs, barely losing a game in matches played at Nos. 4 and 5. Katz assured the Quakers of the win with a 6-2, 6-3 victory at No. 3. De Alwis added a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 6 for the Penn's fifth point of the afternoon. Though both Kocovic and Court had a little bit of trouble in their second sets, each were able to close out the matches without going to a third-set super-tiebreaker. Kocovic held on 6-1, 7-6, and Court put away his opponent, 6-1 and 6-4.
Penn remains at home next week, hosting Temple on Feb. 20 in a match slated to begin at 3 p.m. from the Levy Tennis Pavilion.
1. Zach Katz/Nikola Kocovic (Penn) def. Mons Knudtzon/Jose Morales (SB); 8-7
2. Jeremy Court/Vim De Alwis (P)def. Vinicius Degani/Robert Forai (SB); 8-1
3. Austin Kaplan/Sylvester Wee (P) def. Albert Fontova/Rick Timmerman (SB); 8-7
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Kocovic (Penn) def. Timmerman (Stony Brook); 6-1, 7-6
2. Court (P) def. Knudtzon (SB); 6-1, 6-4
3. Katz (P) def. Forai (SB); 6-2, 6-3
4. Blaine Willenborg (P) def. Morales (SB); 6-1, 6-1
5. Ismael Lahlou (P) def. Degani (SB); 6-0, 6-1
6. De Alwis (P) vs. Fontova (SB); 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 3, 6, 1, 2