Lakeland, Fla. - The men's tennis team shrugged off an early struggle in doubles and proceeded to cruise past the Florida Southern Moccasins on Wednesday afternoon by a score of 5-2. The win was both Penn's first of its spring break trip to Florida as well as its first of the outdoor season.
With the doubles point in hand, the Quakers claimed the first three completed singles matches to guarantee themselves the win with a 4-0 lead. Rob Wong, Jeremy Court and Zach Katz each picked up those victories. Though Florida Southern would battle back with wins at Nos. 5 and 6 singles, it was too little, too late, as Penn moved to 6-2 on the season.
The trip through Florida continues tomorrow when the Quakers face the USF Bulls in Tampa. First serve is set for 2 p.m.
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Ivan Marevic/Jorge Gutierrez (FS) def. Ivan Turudic/Nikola Kocovic (P), 8-6
2. Rob Wong/Mark Milbrandt (P) def. Benoit Paradis/Carl Lundberg (FS), 8-5
3. Jeremy Court/Zach Katz (P) def. Nathan Leavitt/Charles Garneau (FS), 8-1
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 3, 6, 1, 5
1. Kocovic (P) def. Paradis (FS), 6-7(4), 6-3, 10-5
2. Wong (P) def. Emanuel Lueber (FS), 6-1, 6-3
3. Court (P) def. Ivan Marevic (FS), 6-4, 6-1
4. Katz (P) def. Leavitt (FS), 6-2, 6-3
5. Gutierrez (FS) def. Jason Magnes (P), 2-6, 6-3, 10-5
6. Lundberg (FS) def. Milbrandt (P), 6-2, 6-2