CLAREMONT, Calif. – Penn won its second straight match on Thursday on its men’s tennis Spring Trip, defeating No. 3-ranked in Division III, Claremont, 4-3. The stags played in the national championship match at their division last season and are coached by Paul Settles, a 1989 Penn grad and former tennis team captain.
The Quakers again took the doubles point, gaining momentum on the road. Phil Law and Justen Roth won first at No. 2, defeating Erani and Wu, 8-4. Alex Vasin and Jason Lin, playing together for the first time, showed promise as a pairing with an 8-4 win at No. 3 over Keiffer and MacCoil to clinch the point. Hicham Laalej and Adam Schwartz won at No. 1, 9-7, over Schils and Wang to complete the sweep.
The match came down to No. 3 singles, with freshman Phil Law coming through for Penn with a three-set victory to clinch the match. He won the first set over Mikey Lim, 6-4, before losing a second-set tiebreaker, 6-7(4). In the deciding set, he pulled away for a 6-2 win to give Penn the match.
“Claremont, despite being a DIII team, is as strong as any DI team we will play this season,” head coach Nik DeVore said. “We are extremely pleased to come away with a victory.”
DeVore was satisfied with how the doubles pairing have played, not only in this match but on the trip.
“We swept in doubles, which is a nice way to start the match,” he said. “Alex and Jason were very impressive for playing together for the first time. Doubles has proved to be the difference in our two wins this week.”
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 3 vs Penn 4
March 12, 2009 at CMS (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Hicham Laalej / Adam Schwartz (Penn) def. Guillaume Schils / Lawrence Wang (CMS) 9-7
2. Phil Law / Justen Roth (Penn) def. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) 8-4
3. Alex Vasin / Jason Lin (Penn) def. Thomas Keiffer / Eric MacColl (CMS) 8-4
1. Hicham Laalej (Penn) def. Lawrence Wang (CMS) 6-2, 7-5
2. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Adam Schwartz (Penn) 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
3. Phil Law (Penn) def. Mikey Lim (CMS) 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-2
4. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Alex Vasin (Penn) 6-4, 6-1
5. Jason Lin (Penn) def. Eric MacColl (CMS) 6-2, 6-0
6. Victor Chien (CMS) def. Justen Roth (Penn) 7-6(9), 7-6(4)
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 5, 1, 4, 6, 2, 3