PHILADELPHIA The men’s tennis team improved to 11-11 overall, and 5-0 in the Ivy League, with a 6-1 win over Dartmouth today.
In doubles, wins at Nos. 1 and 2 clinched the point for Penn. Juniors Jason Pinsky and Eric Riley beat Dartmouth’s David Waslen and Daniel Freeman, 8-3 in the No. 1 spot, while Jonathan Boym and Mikhail Bekker defeated David Steinberg and Jeffrey Schechtman in the No. 2 spot, 8-3. Brandon O'Gara and Justin Fox fell in the No. 3 spot, 8-5, to Andrew Kin and Justin Tzou.
In singles, Penn had five wins, all in straight sets. The only loss for Penn came at No. 5, where freshman Adam Schwartz fell to Ari Gayer, 6-3, 6-4. At No. 1, junior Jason Pinsky won, 6-2, 6-3, over Waslen. Jonathan Boym recorded a win at No. 2, beating Freeman, 6-2, 6-2, as Mikhail Bekker earned a 6-3, 6-2 win over Schechtman at No. 3. Joseph Lok won his match at No. 4, beating Justin Tzou, 6-0, 6-2, and freshman Alex Vasin had a 6-2, 6-2 win over Friedman in the No. 6 spot.
With the win, the Quakers remained undefeated in Ivy League play. Up next, they will host Cornell, Friday at 2 p.m., and travel to Columbia for a match on Saturday. With a win on Friday, the men could clinch a share of the Ivy League title.
Penn 6, Dartmouth 1
1) Jason Pinsky/Eric Riley (P) def. David Waslen/Daniel Freeman (D), 8-3
2) Jonathan Boym/Mikhail Bekker (P) def. David Steinberg/Jeffrey Schechtman (D), 8-3
3) Andrew Kim/Justin Tzou (D) def. Brandon O'Gara/Justin Fox (P), 8-5
1) Jason Pinsky (P) def. David Waslen (D), 6-2, 6-3
2) Jonathan Boym (P) def. Daniel Freeman (D), 6-2, 6-2
3) Mikhail Bekker (P) def. Jeffrey Schechtman (D), 6-3, 6-2
4) Joseph Lok (P) def. Justin Tzou (D), 6-0, 6-2
5) Ari Gayer (D) def. Adam Schwartz (P), 6-3, 6-4
6) Alex Vasin (P) def. Jeffrey Friedman (D), 6-2, 6-2