Boise, Idaho -- The University of Pennsylvania men's tennis team defeated New Mexico, 5-2, on Friday at Boise State. It was the first of four matches out west for the Quakers.
Penn took the doubles point to start the match. At the No. 1 position, the team of Tas Tobias and Joseph Lok fell, 8-0. The Quakers (10-1)then came back and took the next to matches, with the team of David Lynn and Mikhail Bekker winning at No. 2 doubles, 8-4, and Brandon O'Gara and Todd Lecher clinching the point at No. 3 with a 9-8 victory.
In singles action, Bekker fell in the No. 1 slot, 6-4, 6-7, 10-5, to Ryan Stotalnd while Lynn fell to Max Jones, 6-0, 7-6 at No. 2. Penn came back to win the next four matches to close out New Mexico. Justin Lavner defeated Kamil Pajkowski, 6-2, 6-2, in the third spot and Tobias defeated Eric Conklin, 3-6, 6-4, 10-7, at No. 4. In the No. 5 position, Lecher defeated Derek Buland, 6-3, 6-3, while Jimmy Fairbanks closed out the match with a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Derek Lynch at No. 6.
The Quakers are next in action on Saturday when they take on host Boise State at 9 a.m. MST on Saturday, March 5.
Penn 5, New Mexico 2
1. Stotland/Jones, UNM, def. Tobias/Lok, Penn, 8-0
2. Lynn/Bekker, Penn, def. Conklin/Boland, UNM, 8-4
3. O'Gara/Lecher, Penn, def. Pajkowski/Kowalski, UNM, 9-8
1. Ryan Stotalnd, UNM, def. Mikhail Bekker, Penn, 6-4 6-7 10-5
2. Max Jones, UNM, def. David Lynn, UNM, 6-0 7-6
3. Justin Lavner, Penn, def. Kamil Pajkowski, UNM, 6-2 6-2
4. Tas Tobias, Penn, def. Eric Conklin, UNM, 3-6 6-4 10-7
5. Todd Lecher, Penn, def. Derek Buland, UNM, 6-3 6-3
6. Jimmy Fairbanks, Penn, def. Derek Lynch, UNM, 6-0 6-3