PHILADELPHIA It was a match that was eerily similar to their first meeting and the score was even the same. However, this time it was Brown that came out on top against the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team. The Bears topped Penn 4-3 on Sunday at Levy Tennis Pavilion to receive the Ivy League automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
On Apr. 8, Penn defeat the Bears 4-3. After losing the doubles point, the Quakers won at the top-four positions in singles. The match was won at the No. 2 spot, when Mikhail Bekker defeated Basu Ratnam in three sets. Today, the storyline was exactly the same, the only difference, Brown’s Luke Tedaldi defeated Justin Fox 7-6(5), 6-4 at the No. 5 position to clinch the match.
Fox and Brandon O'Gara picked up the Quakers first win in doubles, beating Eric Thomas and Sam Garland 8-4. The Bears won the next two matches to win the point.
The Red and Blue went on top 3-2 winning at the top-three spots in singles with ease. Jonathan Boym downed Thomas 6-3, 6-1 for Penn’s first point. Jason Pinsky put the Quakers on top edging Dan Hanegby 6-1, 6-1. After Joseph Lok lost at the No. 4 spot, Mikhail Bekker regained the lead for the Red and Blue. He beat Ratnam 6-2, 6-2.
With Penn one point away from winning the match, Chris Lee defeated O’Gara 6-4, 6-4. The match came down to the final point, just like it did the first time these teams met. Tedaldi downed Fox in a hard-fought match.
Penn falls to 18-6 overall and 6-2 in the Ivy League. The Bears improve to 20-9 on the season and 7-1 in the Ancient Eight.
The Quakers will await the NCAA selection show on Wednesday to learn whether they will receive an at-large bid. The selection show can be seen on ESPNNEWS at approximately 8:30 p.m.
No. 70 Brown 4, No. 45 Penn 3
1. Phil Charm/Chris Lee (B) def. Jason Pinsky/Joseph Lok (P) 8-3
2. Dan Hanegby/Saurabh Kohli (B) def. Jonathan Boym/Mikhail Bekker (P) 8-6
3. Justin Fox/Brandon O'Gara (P) def. Eric Thomas/Sam Garland (B) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Jason Pinsky (P) def. Dan Hanegby (B) 6-1, 6-1
2. Mikhail Bekker (P) def. Basu Ratnam 6-2, 6-2
3. Jonathan Boym (P) def. Eric Thomas (B) 6-3, 6-1
4. Saurabh Kohli (B) def. Joseph Lok (P) 6-3, 6-1
5. Luke Tedaldi (B) def. Justin Fox (P) 7-6(5), 6-4
6. Chris Lee (B) def. Brandon O'Gara (P) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 1, 6, 5