LAS CRUCES, N.M. – On Friday afternoon, the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team fell to UT Arlington 4-2 in the final match over spring break in the NM State Tennis Center. The Quakers were only able to win two singles flights and are now 12-3 this season.
Senior captain Jeremy Court and freshman Nicholai Westergaard continued to stay strong at No. 1 doubles, winning a tough match 7-6. However, the Red and Blue dropped the doubles point with losses at No. 2 and 3.
Junior Blaine Willenborg camew out on top in a three-set match at No. 2 singles while freshman Josh Pompan won at No. 3. However, Penn wasn't able to hold the Mavericks off and dropped No. 4, 5, and 6 singles.
The loss is just the third of the season for the Quakers, as they are now 12-3. They will return to Philly and prepare for home matches with Temple and Georgetown on Saturday, March 21 before opening Ivy League play with Princeton the following Saturday in New Jersey.
UT Arlington 4, No. 41 Penn 2
1. Jeremy Court/Nicholai Westergaard (PENN) def. Muniesa, Mario/Colvee, Pablo (UTA) 7-6
2. Arbiza, Carlos/Armengol, Daniel (UTA) def. Matt Nardella/Thomas Spratt (PENN) 6-4
3. Gonzalez, Johnathan/Erimicioiu, S. (UTA) def. Blaine Willenborg/Austin Kaplan (PENN) 7-6
1. Erimicioiu, S. (UTA) vs. Jeremy Court (Penn) 6-4, 6-7, unfinished
2. Blaine Willenborg (Penn) def. Gonzalez, Johnathan (UTA) 6-2, 1-6, 6-0
3. Josh Pompan (Penn) def. Williams, Stefan (UTA) 6-4, 6-2
4. Armengol, Daniel (UTA) def. Matt Nardella (Penn) 6-4, 7-6
5. Muniesa, Mario (UTA) def. Nicholai Westergaard (Penn) 7-6, 6-2
6. Arbiza, Carlos (UTA) def. Thomas Spratt (Penn) 6-2, 6-4