PRINCETON, N. J. – With hopes of starting the Ivy League season with a win, the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team’s hopes faded away after a hard, tough battle with No. 28 Princeton on Saturday in Jadwin Gym. The No. 57 Quakers fell to the Tigers 6-1, with four of the singles matches going the distance. The Red and Blue are now 14-4, 0-1 this spring and will return the Philadelphia to prepare for their first Ivy road trip next weekend at Yale and Brown.
Penn started behind after dropping the doubles point and behind by two after a loss at No. 6 singles, despite a tough first set from sophomore Marshall Sharp.
Freshman Josh Pompan cut the lead to one when he improved his match-win streak to 12 with a victory over Josh Yoblan at No. 4 (6-1, 4-6, 6-1). Pompan is now 15-2 and leads the team with the most wins.
However, Pompan’s point was the only one the Quakers would win as the Tigers took the match victory and extra.
Princeton needed just one more win after taking No. 2 singles. Just like Sharp, senior captain Jeremy Court also fell short in a tough first set and dropped set two.
Hopes were still in the air as sophomore Matt Nardella, junior Blaine Willenborg, and freshman Nicolas Podesta were still on their courts, batting in third sets.
But down 5-2, Nardella struggled to rally and dropped the set and the Tigers claimed the win.
No. 57 Penn 1, No. 28 Princeton 6
1. McCourt/Colautti (Princeton) vs. Court/Podesta (Penn) DNF
2. Vives/Gamble (Princeton) def. Spratt/Westergaard (Penn) 6-4
3. Day/Tso (Princeton) def. Willenborg/Sharp (Penn) 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. Zack McCourt (Princeton) def. Nicolas Podesta (Penn) 3-6, 7-6(3), 6-1
2. Thomas Colautti (Princeton) def. Jeremy Court (Penn) 7-6(5), 6-4
3. Alexander Day (Princeton) def. Blaine Willenborg (Penn) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
4. Josh Pompan (Penn) def. Josh Yablon (Princeton) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
5. Diego Vives (Princeton) def. Matt Nardella (Penn) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
6. Luke Gamble (Princeton) def. Marshall Sharp (Penn) 7-6(3), 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2, 5, 3, 1