PRINCETON – Penn opened its 2009 Ivy League men’s tennis schedule on a down note on Saturday, dropping a 4-3 match to Princeton.
The Quakers got off on the right foot, taking the doubles points with wins at Nos. 2 and 3. Phil Law and Justen Roth won, 8-6, at No. 2 and Alex Vasin and Jason Lin took an 8-5 match at No. 3
Adam Schwartz won at No. 3 singles in straight sets, 6-4, 6-0 over George Caperni. Lin added the final win for Penn with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Charlie Brosens at No. 6.
The difference in the match was the way the three matches that went the distance fell. Princeton won all of the three-set matches. The biggest win for Princeton came at No. 2 where Alex Vuckovic ralled from a 6-1 loss in the first set to Penn’s Jonnathan Boym to win the final two sets for a 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 win.
Phil Law did a good job for Penn in forcing a third set at No. 4, coming back after losing the first set to win the second in a tiebreaker before Ryan Kim won a tight third set, taking the match 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-4.
Penn is back on the courts Monday, March 30 against Army at 3 p.m.. The match is scheduled to take place outside on the Lott Courts.
Princeton (8-6, 1-0) 4, Penn (8-7, 0-1) 3
1) Capkovic/Vuckovic (Prin) def. Laalej/Schwartz (Penn), 8-6
2) Law/Justen Roth (Penn) def. Kim/Ilya Trubov (Prin), 8-6
3) Vasin/Lin (Penn) def. Yohei Shoji/Carpeni (Prin), 8-5
1) Peter Capkovic (Prin) def. Hicham Laalej (Penn), 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
2) Alex Vuckovic (Prin) def. Jonathan Boym (Penn), 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
3) Adam Schwartz (Penn) def. George Carpeni (Prin), 6-4, 6-0
4) Ryan Kim (Prin) def. Phil Law (Penn), 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-4
5) Alex Faust (Prin) def. Alex Vasin (Penn), 7-6, 6-3
6) Jason Lin (Penn) def. Charlie Brosens (Prin), 6-2, 6-4