PHILADELPHIA – Penn was defeated by Loyola Marymount, 5-2, in men’s tennis action as the Quaker began their spring trip through California. Hicham Laalej won at No. 1 singles for the Quakers and Justen Roth picked up a victory at No. 6 for Penn’s other win on the day.
The match started at doubles, and the point came down to the final match – at No. 2.
After LMU won the No. 3 match, 8-1, Penn tied the series with a win at No. 1 by Laalej and Adam Schwartz, 8-3. The deciding match went to extra tennis, as LMU won, 9-7.
In singles, LMU won the first two matches to finish at No. 4 and No. 5. Laalej won at No. 1, 7-5, 6-2, over Renzo Maggi. The Lions then clinched the match with wins at Nos. 2 and 3. Roth won the final match to end on the day, taking a three-setter from Aris Andreasian, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4.
“We are disappointed today as we felt this was a match we really had a chance to win,” head coach Nik DeVore said. “LMU just competed better than us. Hopefully we learned that you have to want it more and outcompete your opponent.”
Penn is back in action on Wednesday against UC-Santa Barbara at 4:30 p.m. EST.
Loyola Marymount 5, Penn 2
1. Hicham Laalej (PENN) def. Renzo Maggi (LMU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Ivan Lopez (LMU) def. Adam Schwartz (PENN) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Aram Abgaryan (LMU) def. Phil Law (PENN) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Johan Berhof (LMU) def. Alex Vasin (PENN) 6-4, 6-2
5. Geza Bazula (LMU) def. Jason Lin (PENN) 6-4, 6-4
6. Justen Roth (PENN) def. Aris Andreasian (LMU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
1. Hicham Laalej/Adam Schwartz (PENN) def. Johan Berhof/Geza Bazula (LMU) 8-3
2. Renzo Maggi/Aris Andreasian (LMU) def. Alex Vasin/Justen Roth (PENN) 9-7
3. Ivan Lopez/Nick Von Der Ahe (LMU) def. Dmitry Bury/Zach Gorn (PENN) 8-1
Penn 5-5 Loyola Marymount 1-8 Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,5,1,2,3,6)