Tampa, Fla. - The men's tennis team dropped to 6-3 on the season with a 5-2 loss to South Florida on Thursday afternoon at the USF Varsity Courts.
Despite competitive matches across the board in doubles, which Penn won by virtue of wins at Nos. 2 and 3, the 1-0 lead would not hold up.
Ivan Turudic was the only Quaker to win a singles match, taking down Yannick Yoshizawa, 6-4, 6-4, for his second straight victory at No. 1 singles. USF won the remainder of the matches in straight sets with the exception of at No. 3 whereRob Wongtied his match at a set apiece with a 6-2 win in the second set before falling 6-1 in the third.
Today's loss leaves Penn at 1-2 on its trip through Florida, which concludes tomorrow at 1 p.m. when they face Florida Gulf Coast.
1. Ivan Turudic (Penn) def. Yannick Yoshizawa (USF) 6-4, 6-4
2. Wael Kilani (USF) def. Nikola Kocovic (Penn) 6-0,6-2
3. Federico Sabogal (USF) def.Rob Wong(Penn) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
4. Juan Carlos Acuna (USF) def.Jeremy Court(Penn) 7-5, 6-2
5. Ravi Patel (USF) def.Jason Lin(Penn) 7-5, 6-0
6. Lucas Marin-Salcedo (USF) def.Zach Katz(Penn) 6-3, 6-3
1. Y.Yoshizawa/Oliver Pramming (USF) def. I.Turudic/N.Kocovic (Penn) 8-6
2. R. Wong/J.Lin (Penn) def. W.Kalani/L.Marin-Salcedo (USF) 9-7
3. J.Court/Z.Katz (Penn) def. R.Patel/F.Sabogal (USF) 8-6