PHILADELPHIA - It was a beautiful day at the Lott Courts, as Penn won its first Ivy match of the season in a hotly contested battle with the Brown Bears, 4-3.
The Quakers dropped the double point for the fourth consecutive match, but fought back to take four of the first five singles matches to clinch the overall victory. Tensions ran high but Penn fought through to take both matches which went a full three sets.
The duo of Rob Wong and Phil Law provided the lone doubles victory, taking No. 2, 9-8. Eugen Brazdil and Mark Milbrandt lost at No. 1, 8-4, while the No. 3 doubles team of Adam Schwartz and Jason Magnes fell 8-1.
In singles Jason Lin evened the match up at 1-1 quickly, dispatching of his opponent in straight sets at No. 5, 6-3, 6-3. A straight set win by Brazdil at No. 1, 6-2, 7-6 made it 2-1, however Magnes went down in two to even the overall match at two wins apiece.
At No. 2, Law needed three sets, but eventually took care of Kendrick Au, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2. Schwartz provided some drama at No. 3, splitting the first two sets. Tied 4-4 in the third, the senior co-captain took control, winning the final two points to clinch a Penn win.
The Quakers improve to 11-5 overall with the win and 1-1 in the Ivy League. The Red and Blue return to action tomorrow, Saturday, when they take on Yale at 2 p.m. at the Lott Courts.
1. Kendrick Au / Nathaniel Gorham def. Eugen Brazdil / Mark Milbrandt, 8-4
2. Phil Law / Rob Wong def. Timmy Klanke / Tom Deighton, 9-8
3. Mike Hill / Charlie Posner def. Adam Schwartz / Jason Magnes, 8-1
Singles (5, 2, 4, 1, 3, 6)
1. Brazdil def. Gorham, 6-2, 7-6
2. Law def. Au, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
3. Schwartz def. Deighton, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Hill def. Magnes, 6-2, 6-4
5. Jason Lin def. Posner, 6-3, 6-3
6. Klanke def. Roth, 7-6, 6-7, 2-0 (Retired)