Philadelphia, Pa. -- The University of Pennsylvania men's tennis team defeated St, Bonaventure, 5-2, on Sunday in the Levy Tennis Pavilion. The Quakers lost the doubles point but came back to take five of six singles matches.
"The doubles didn't go as well as expected but we did a good job in singles," said Head Coach Mark Riley. "We have a deep team with lots of good players who feel comfortable as a group. They go after every point really hard."
The team of David Lynn and Mikhail Bekker fell at No. 1 doubles, 8-6, and Jimmy Fairbanks and Justin Lavner dropped a tough match, 9-8(4) at No. 2 doubles. John Stetson, in his first match in over a year due to injury, teamed with Brandon O'Gara to win at No. 3 doubles, 8-5.
The Quakers came out strong in the singles. Lynn defeated Mario Arce, 3-6, 6-4, (10-6), at No. 1 singles to get the Red and Blue started. Bekker fell to Alejandro Nery, 4-6, 7-5, (10-6), at No. 2 before the Quakers took the next four matches and the victory. Tas Tobias defeated Nikhil Murali, 6-2, 6-4 at No. 3, Todd Lecher won at No. 4, 6-0, 6-1, over Andrew Hart and Fairbanks defeated Dejan Stankovic, 6-2, 6-1, at No. Craig Rubin defeated Sajeel Qureshi, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 6 to close out the match.
The Quakers are next in action onSunday, Feb. 20 when they travel to Maryland for a 2 p.m. start.
Written by Jennifer Hildebrand, athletic communications assistant
Final Results -Penn 5,St. Bonaventure 2
1. Arce/Murali def. Lynn/Bekker (P), 8-6
2. Stankovic/Hart def. Fairbanks/Lavner (P), 9-8 (4)
3. Stetson/O'Gara (P) def. Nery/Qureshi, 8-5
1. David Lynn (P) def. Mario Arce, 3-6, 6-4, (10-6)
2. Alejandro Nery def. Mikhail Bekker (P), 4-6, 7-5, (10-6)
3. Tas Tobias (P) def. Nikhil Murali, 6-2, 6-4
4. Todd Lecher (P) def. Andrew Hart, 6-0, 6-1
5. Jimmy Fairbanks (P) def. Dejan Stankovic, 6-2, 6-1
6.Craig Rubin (P) def. Sajeel Qureshi, 6-1, 6-0