PHILADELPHIA - After a 10-day layoff since its last competition, the Penn men's tennis team got a little more than it bargained for on Wednesday afternoon, having to scramble to complete the comeback in a 4-3 win over the visiting Georgetown Hoyas. Penn (2-1) defeated Georgetown for a 23rd consecutive meeting.
The trouble began in doubles, as the Hoyas bounded out to a 1-0 lead. Austin Kaplan and Zach Katz were able to win at No. 2 doubles, but previous losses had already given Georgetown the point.
Blaine Willenborg tied the match up at 1-1 as he was first to finish in singles, downing Daniel Khanin 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2. But that tie last just minutes as the hard-serving Reese Milner knocked off Katz at No. 3 singles 7-6(6) and 6-1, before Casey Distaso downed Sylvester Wee at No. 6, 6-3, 6-4.
Placed in a must-win situation, the Quakers fought their way back. Jeremy Court had had his wasy with Charlie Caris in the first set before dropping the second. In the third, he was able to ride an early break to an important 6-0, 4-6, 6-3 victory at No. 1. Shortly after that, Ismael Lahlou closed out his first win of the spring at No. 4 over the Hoyas' Alex Tropiano, 6-4, 7-6(5).
That left the match at No. 5 singles as the determining point. Vim De Alwis was down a set in the early going, but soon proved to be too much for Georgetown's Shane Korber. The Penn freshman won the final four games of the third set to clinch the victory for the Quakers, 5-7, 6-1, 6-2.
Penn is back in action at the Levy Tennis Pavilion on Friday, facing a Stony Brook squad that will be playing in its first match of the spring season. Doubles matches will get started at 1 p.m.
1. Charlie Caris/Casey Distaso (Georgetown) def. Jeremy Court/Nikola Kocovic (Penn); 8-2
2. Austin Kaplan/Zach Katz (P) def Shane Kolber/Alex Tropiano (G); 8-6
3. Reese Milner/Daniel Khanin (G) def. Vim De Alwis/Sylvester Wee (P); 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Court (P) def. Charlie Caris (G) ; 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
2. Blaine Willenborg (P) def. Daniel Khanin (G); 6-2, 6-2
3. Reese Milner (G) def. Katz (P); 7-6(6), 6-1
4. Ismael Lahlou (P) def. Alex Tropiano (G); 6-4, 7-6(5)
5. De Alwis (P) def. Shane Korber (G); 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
6. Casey Distaso (G) def. Wee (P); 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 6, 1, 4, 5