PHILADELPHIA The Penn men’s tennis team fell to 4-9, after a 5-2 defeat at the hands of the University of Tulsa.
The Quakers had a great start to the match, as they swept the doubles point. Juniors Jason Pinsky and Eric Riley beat the No. 41 nationally ranked doubles pair of Arnau Brugues and Federico Soriano, 8-3. Joseph Lok and Jonathan Boym won in the No. 2 doubles spot, 8-4, over Lucques Maasdorp and Andy Connelly, while Justin Fox and Brandon O'Gara won at No. 3, 8-6, over Olof Sjolund and Will Gray.
But Penn couldn’t keep the momentum going in the singles, as the Golden Hurricane won in all but the No. 2 singles spots. Pinsky, ranked No. 50 in singles in the latest ITA release had his toughest opponent of the year, No. 5 Brugues. Pinsky lost in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. Fox lost to No. 120, Will Gray, in the No. 3 singles spot, 6-4, 7-6 (10-8), while Lok lost at No. 4 to Ricardo Soriano, 7-5, 4-6, 6-1. Simon Bekker lost in the No. 5 singles spot, 6-3, 6-0 to Diego Camacho, while freshman Adam Schwartz lost at No. 6, 6-1, 6-0 to Sjolund. Sophomore Jonathan Boym had the only singles win for Penn. After losing the first set to Federico Soriano, 3-6, Boym battled back to win the next two sets, 6-4, 6-4, and take the match.
Up next, the Quakers will look to bounce back against a tough No. 10 Oklahoma State team, whom they will face at 2 p.m. on March 8.
Tulsa 5, Penn 2
1. #5 Arnau Brugues (TLS) def. #50 Jason Pinsky (PENN) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jonathan Boym (PENN) def. Federico Soriano (TLS) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. #120 Will Gray (TLS) def. Justin Fox (PENN) 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
4. Ricardo Soriano (TLS) def. Joseph Lok (PENN) 7-5, 4-6, 6-1
5. Diego Camacho (TLS) def. Simon Bekker (PENN) 6-3, 6-0
6. Olof Sjolund (TLS) def. Adam Schwartz (PENN) 6-1, 6-0
1. Jason Pinsky/Eric Riley (PENN) def. #41 Arnau Brugues/Federico Soriano (TLS) 8-3
2. Joseph Lok/Jonathan Boym (PENN) def. Lucques Maasdorp/Andy Connelly (TLS) 8-4
3. Justin Fox/Brandon O'Gara (PENN) def. Olof Sjolund/Will Gray (TLS) 8-6