ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – In a matchup of nationally-ranked opponents, the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team came up short against New Mexico, 4-0, in the McKinnon Family Tennis Stadium Tuesday afternoon. The loss to the Lobos is the first over spring break for the No. 41 Quakers and is just the second of the season.
After dropping the No. 1 doubles, No. 2 sophomore duo Matt Nardella and Marshall Sharp evened the score with a 6-0 win. It came down to No. 3, where juniors Austin Kaplan and Blaine Willenborg tied the score at 6-6 and headed into a seven-point tiebreak. Despite getting an early 2-1 lead, the Quakers fell 7-3 and New Mexico claimed the doubles point to lead 1-0 heading into singles play.
The No. 2 doubles win was the lone victory the Red and Blue would take against the Lobos as wins at No. 6, 5, and 1 sealed the victory.
Penn will return to action on Thursday with New Mexico State at 1 p.m. MT
#45 University of New Mexico 4, #41 Penn 0
1. Van Leijsen/Sabatka (NM) def. Court/Westergaard (PENN) 6-1
2. Nardella/Sharp (PENN) def. Jauregui/Escutia (NM) 6-0
3. Hignett/Ge (NM) def. Kaplan/Willenborg (PENN) 7-6 (7-3)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. #42 Samir Iftikhar (NM) def. Vim De Alwis (PENN) 6-3, 6-1
2. Hayden Sabatka (NM) vs. Jeremy Court (PENN) 2-6, 5-4, unfinished
3. Mitchell McDaniels (NM) vs. Blaine Willenborg (PENN) 6-1, 4-4, unfinished
4. Rodolfo Jauregui (NM) vs. Josh Pompan (PENN) 4-6, 3-3, unfinished
5. James Hignett (NM) def. Matt Nardella (PENN) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jorge Escutia (NM) def. Marshall Sharp (PENN) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 5, 1