ANNAPOLIS, MD. - Facing a motivated opponent trying to snap 13 years of disappointment, the Penn men's tennis team rallied from an early 2-1 deficit to win three straight matches and earn a 14th straight win over the Navy Midshipmen on Wednesday night, allowing head coach David Geatz to taste victory in his first match at Penn. After dropping the doubles point, Penn took four out of the six singles matches, with five of them going the full three-set distance.
Freshman Jeremy Court was a dual winner on the day, first teaming with Zach Katz for an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles before dispatching Tyler Burnett at No. 4 singles, 6-0 and 7-5. The Court/Katz doubles team, however, was the only one out of three pairings to bring home a win, giving Navy a 1-0 with the doubles point.
Court made it 1-1 with his straight-set win, but that was the only one of the six singles matches that wouldn't go the full three sets. Trailing 2-1, Nikola Kocovic won a crucial third set tiebreak off of Peter McDonald to knot the team score at 2-2, winning 6-3, 2-6, 7-6(4). Seniors Eugen Brazdil at No. 5 and Phil Law at No. 1 followed in short order to clinch the victory for the Quakers. Brazdil defeated Blake Daniel 3-6, 7-5, 6-4, and Law was able to break Marcus Rebersak and secure the 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 win.
The Quakers make their first home appearance of the season at the Levy Tennis Pavilion on Saturday, hosting George Washington at 2 p.m.
1. Law, Phil (PENN) def. Rebersak, Marcus (NAVY) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
2. Kocovic, Nikola (PENN) def. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Lin, Jason (PENN) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Court, Jeremy (PENN) def. Burnett, Tyler (NAVY) 6-0, 7-5
5. Brazdil, Eugen (PENN) def. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
6. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Magnes, Jason (PENN) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
1. Mark, Calvin/McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Brazdil, Eugen/Kocovic, Nikola (PENN) 8-6
2. Court, Jeremy/Katz, Zach (PENN) def. Daniel, Blake/Kenney, Chris (NAVY) 8-2
3. Drayton, Heyward/Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Law, Phil/Magnes, Jason (PENN) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,2,5,1,6)