PHILADELPHIA The Penn men’s tennis team earned a big win today over Army, sweeping the Black Knights, 7-0, in their last dual match before the Ivy League season begins.
The Quakers, riding high on a 7-0 sweep of Navy on Wednesday, came into West Point ready to play, and it showed in the doubles match-up. Penn won all three doubles points in commanding fashion. Juniors Eric Riley and Jason Pinsky beat John Houghton and Phil Muhawi, 8-3 in the No. 1 doubles spot, while Mikhail Bekker and Joseph Lok beat Bruno Lucivero and Charles Mullenger, 8-1 in the No. 3 spot. The No. 2 doubles match was more of a battle, but Justin Fox and Brandon O'Gara came out on top, beating Eddie Kand and Michael Good,8-6.
In singles, Penn won in all six spots, but Army put up a good fight, taking two matches to tiebreaker. At No. 3 singles, sophomore Justin Fox beat Kang after dropping the second set, 6-4, 3-6, 10-3. And at No. 6 singles, freshman Alex Vasin came back to beat Lucivero after losing the first set, 5-7, 6-1, 10-7.
The Red and Blue won in straight sets in the other four spots. Pinsky beat Muhawi, 6-0, 6-1, as Bekker beat Houghton, 6-3, 6-0, in the Nos. 1 and 2 spots. Lok won in the No. 4 spot, beating Mullenger, 6-3, 6-2. And freshman Adam Schwartz won at No. 5, 6-1, 6-0.
With the win, Penn improved to 6-11 overall. Up next, the Quakers open their Ivy League season at Princeton, on March 31. The Ivy League opener is expected to kick off at 2 p.m.
Penn 7, Army 0
1. Jason Pinsky (P) def. Phil Muhawi 6-0, 6-1
2. Mikhail Bekker (P) def. John Houghton 6-3, 6-0
3. Justin Fox (P) def. Eddie Kang 6-4, 3-6, 10-3
4. Joseph Lok (P) def. Charles Mullenger 6-3, 6-2
5. Adam Schwartz (P) def. Johnny Lucero 6-1, 6-0
6. Alex Vasin (P) def. Bruno Lucivero 5-7, 6-1, 10-7
1. Pinsky/Eric Riley (P) def. Houghton/Muhawi 8-3
2. Fox/Brandon O'Gara (P) def. Good/Kang 8-6
3. Lok/Mikhail Bekker (P) def. Lucivero/Charles Mullenger 8-1