ANNAPOLIS, Md. - After falling in the doubles point, the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team rebounded to win four singles points todefeated Navy4-3 on Wednesday. Penn won its first four singles matches to put the match away.
Down 1-0, Jonathan Boym got the ball rolling for the Quakers by defeating Jason Hill 6-0, 6-1. Fellow freshman Justin Fox put the Red and Blue up 2-1 when he beat Adrian Lai 6-2, 6-1. After the freshmen gave Penn the lead, it was time for the upperclassmen to preserve it. Co-captains Jimmy Fairbanks and Mikhail Bekker won their matches to clinch the match for the Quakers. Fairbanks downed Stanley Kahl 6-4, 6-1 and Bekker came back to beat Nate Nelms 5-7, 7-5, 6-0.
Penn improves to 11-4 overall. The Quakers have one final tune-up before Ivy League play when they host Army on Monday, March 27 at 3 p.m.
No. 45 Penn 4, Navy 3
1. Nate Nelms/Brandon Carter (N) def. Justin Fox/Brandon O'Gara(P) 8-2
2. Jonathan Boym/John Stetson (P) def. Adrian Lai/Stanley Kahl (N)8-6
3. Jason Hill/Johnny Waters (N) def. Mikhail Bekker/Jimmy Fairbanks(P) 8-6
1. Mikhail Bekker (P) def. Nate Nelms (N) 5-7, 7-5, 6-0
2. Jonathan Boym (P) def. Jason Hill (N) 6-0, 6-1
3. Justin Fox (P) def. Adrian Lai (N) 6-2, 6-1
4. Brandon Carter (N) def. Brandon O'Gara (P) 4-5, 6-4, 7-6 (5)
5. Jimmy Fairbanks (P) def. Stanley Kahl (N) 6-4, 6-1
6. Johnny Waters (N) def. Aubry Wand (P) 7-6 (10), 7-6 (10)