PHILADELPHIA It was a close win for the Quakers, as the men’s tennis team took on Yale in New Haven yesterday. The Red and Blue barely won the doubles point, and then suffered losses in the top three singles spots, before taking wins in the 4, 5 and 6 singles spots, to earn the 4-3 win.
In doubles, Eric Riley and Jason Pinsky beat Brandon Wai and Rory Green in the No. 1 spot, 8-6. That win was followed by a close win in the No. 2 doubles spot, as Jonathan Boym and Mikhail Bekker beat Jeff Dawson and Josh Lederman, 9-8. Justin Fox and Brandon O'Gara lost in the No. 3 spot to Michael Caldwell and Connor Dawson, 9-8.
The losses continued in the top three singles spots for Penn, as Wai defeated Jason Pinsky in the No. 1 spot, 6-4, 6-3. Caldwell beat Boym in the No. 2 spot, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, and Jeff Dawson beat Bekker in the No. 3 spot, 6-2, 6-4. But three straight-set wins in the 4, 5 and 6 singles spots helped the match go Penn’s way. Fox beat Rory Green 6-2, 7-6 in the No. 4 spot, as Joseph Lok beat Connor Dawson, 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 5 spot. And freshman Alex Vasin beat Matt Schimmel in the No. 6 spot to clinch the win for the Quakers, 6-3, 6-4.
With the win, the Quakers improve to 8-11 overall, 2-0 in the Ivy League. Penn will continue to face tough competition, as they take on co-champions Brown today at 2 p.m.
Penn 4, Yale 3
1. Pinsky and Riley (P) def. Wai and Green (Y) 8-6
2. Bekker and Boym (P) def. J. Dawson and Lederman (Y), 9-8
3. Caldwell and C. Dawson (Y) def. Fox and Ogara (P), 9-8 Penn Wins Doubles Point
1. Wai (Y) def. Pinsky (P), 6-4, 6-3
2. Caldwell (Y) def. Boym (P), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. J. Dawson (Y) def. Bekker (P), 6-2, 6-4
4. Fox (P) def. Green (Y), 6-2, 7-6
5. Lok (P) def. C. Dawson (Y), 6-2, 6-4
6. Vasin (P) def. Schimmel (Y), 6-3, 6-4