PHILADELPHIA - The Penn men’s tennis team swept Navy, 7-0 in their first home match in almost a month. Three doubles wins were followed by wins in all six singles spot, helping the Quakers improved to 5-11 overall.
The Red and Blue won the doubles point easily. Justin Fox and Brandon O'Gara won the first doubles match in the No. 3 spot, beating Ramsey Lemaich and Alex James, 8-1. A win by Jason Pinsky and Eric Riley in the No. 1 doubles spot clinched the doubles point for Penn. They beat Nate Nelmes and Jason Hill, 8-3. And the No. 2 doubles match finished shortly after, as sophomore Jonathan Boym and senior Mikhail Bekker beat Adrian Lai and Stanley Kahl, 8-4.
In singles, Mikhail Bekker continued to have success, as he won the first point in the No. 3 spot. He beat John Waters, 6-1, 6-0, to give Penn a 2-0 lead. Boym was the next Quaker to earn a win, as he beat Jason Hill in the No. 2 spot, 6-1, 6-1. A win in the No. 1 singles spot by Jason Pinsky clinched the match for Penn, as he beat Nelms, 6-2, 6-2. Freshman Adam Schwartz came back after losing in the first set, to beat Kahl in the No. 5 spot, 4-6, 6-0, 10-8. Fellow freshman Alex Vasin also had a win in the No. 6 singles spot, beating Alex James, 6-2, 6-4. Sophomore Justin Fox had the last win of the night, as he beat Lai in the No. 4 spot, 6-3, 6-4, giving Penn the 7-0 victory.
Up next, the Quakers will travel to West Point to take on Army, Sunday March 25 at 1 p.m.
Penn 7, Navy 0
1. Jason Pinsky/Eric Riley (Penn) def. Nate Nelms/Jason Hill (Navy), 8-3
2. Jonathan Boym/Mikhail Bekker (Penn) def. Adrian Lai/Stanley Kahl (Navy), 8-4
3. Justin Fox/Brandon O'Gara (Penn) def. Ramsey Lemaich/Alex James (Navy), 8-1
1. Jason Pinsky (Penn) def. Nate Nelms (Navy), 6-2, 6-2
2. Jonathan Boym (Penn) def. Jason Hill (Navy), 6-1, 6-1
3. Mikhail Bekker (Penn) def. John Waters (Navy), 6-1, 6-0
4. Justin Fox (Penn) def. Adrian Lai (Navy), 6-3, 6-4
5. Adam Schwartz (Penn) def. Stanley Kahl (Navy), 4-6, 6-0, 10-8
6. Alex Vasin (Penn) def. Alex James (Navy), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: D3, D1, D2, S3, S2, S1*, S5, S6, S4