Philadelphia, Pa. -- The University of Pennsylvania men's tennis team opened its spring campaign on Wednesday in the Levy Tennis Pavilion witha commanding 7-0 victory over University of Maryland Baltimore County. The Quakers won the doubles point and then went on to sweep singles action with no match going to three sets.
"The whole team did a good job," said Head Coach Mark Riley. "They've all been working hard in practice. All of the doubles teams are playing well and now we just have to keep working on taking care of our home court."
The team of Tas Tobias and Joe Lok posted a 8-4 win at first doubles while Brandon O'Gara and Todd Lecher clinched the doubles point with their 8-6 victory at second doubles. At No. 3 doubles, Jimmy Fairbanks and Justin Lavner won their match, 8-1.
The Quakers came out firing in the singles, with Mikhail Bekker picking up the win at No. 1 singles, 6-0, 6-0. Penn won the remaing five positions with straight-set victories. At the No. 2 position, Tobias won, 6-3, 6-7 (8-6, 10-5), while Lavner won at No. 3, 6-1, 6-2. Lecher notched a victory at No. 4, 6-0, 6-2, Fairbanks was victorious, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 5 and Lok closed out the match at No. 6 with a 6-1, 6-3, win to keep Quakers perfect on the day.
The Quakers are next in action on Saturday, Feb. 5 when they host St. John's at 1 p.m. and Swarthmore at 5 p.m. in the Levy Tennis Pavilion.
Written by Jennifer Hildebrand, athletic communications assistant
Final Results -Penn 7,UMBC 0
1. Tas Tobias/Joe Lok (P) def. James Tyler/Mike Keller, 8-4
2. Brandon O'Gara/Todd Lecher (P) def. David Jackson/Irfan Shamasdin, 8-6
3. Jimmy Fairbanks/Justin Lavner (P) def. Djan Gusmao/Mehrban Iranshad, 8-1
1. Mikhail Bekker (P) def. James Tyler, 6-0, 6-0
2. Tas Tobias (P) def. Mike Keller, 6-3, 6-7 (8-6, 10-5)
3. Justin Lavner (P) def. Fernando Ferreira, 6-1, 6-2
4. Todd Lecher (P) def. Irfan Shamasdin, 6-0, 6-2
5. Jimmy Fairbanks (P) def. David Jackson, 6-2, 6-0
6.Joe Lok(P) def. Mehrban Iranshad, 6-1, 6-3