PHILADELPHIA - Blaine Willenborg finished off a three-set victory at No. 4 singles to give the University of Pennsylvania men's tennis team a 4-3 victory over No. 70 Dartmouth on Saturday afternoon at the Hamlin Tennis Courts.
With the win, the Quakers remained unbeaten at home this year (8-0) and improved to 9-8 overall this season and 1-3 in Ivy League play. The Big Green fell to 9-10 overall and 1-2 against the Ancient Eight.
Dartmouth was able to claim the doubles point to start the afternoon. Though Willenborg teamed with Jeremy Court to win at No. 3, 8-2, the Big Green toppedAustin Kaplan and Zach Katz, 8-4, at No. 2 and Nikola Kocovic and Mark Milbrandt, 8-3, at No. 1.
The Big Green then led, 2-0, after a win at No. 5 singles, but the Quakers claimed three of the next four. Kocovic won in three sets at No. 1, 7-6, 4-6, 6-2. Meanwhile, Ismael Lahlou swept his match at No. 3, 6-3, 6-2, and Vim De Alwis also won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2.
That set up the decisive match at No. 4 singles. Willenborg dropped the first set, 7-6, but followed that with a 7-5 win to force a third set. With the match on the line, Willenborg clinched Penn's first Ivy win of the year with a 6-4 decision.
The Quakers look to maintain their unblemished home record on Sunday when they host No. 19 Harvard at 2 p.m.
1. Centenari/DeBot (D) def. Kocovic/Milbrandt (P); 8-3
2. Tannenbaum/DeChatellus (D) def. Kaplan/Katz (P); 8-4
3. Court/Willenborg (P) def. Ghorbani/Kipouras (D); 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Kocovic (P) def. Centenari (D); 7-7, 4-6, 6-2
2. Kipouras (D) def. Court (P); 7-6, 7-6
3. Lahlou (P) def. Nordahl (D); 6-3, 6-2
4. Willenborg (P) def. Ghorbani (D); 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
5. DeBot (D) def. Katz (P); 6-2, 6-2
6. De Alwis (P) def. Tannenbaum; 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5,6,3,2,1,4