PHILADELPHIA After playing some the nation’s elite teams and traveling from the Sunshine state to the Pacific Northwest and back to sunny Florida, the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team is now playing the matches that count. Penn opened its Ivy League schedule at Lott Courts on Friday by defeating rival Princeton 6-1. With the victory, Penn now runs its winning streak to 10 matches a feat which has not been accomplished since 1974. After losing the first doubles point, the Quakers won the next two to take the point and continued their success in singles.
Justin Fox and Brandon O'Gara fell to Darius Craton and Shannon Morales 8-2. However the Red and Blue rebounded, winning the next two points 8-5. Jason Pinsky and Joseph Lok defeated Andrew Lieu and Hans Plukas. Jonathan Boym and Mikhail Bekker wrapped up the point by beating Ted Mabrey and Alex Krueger-Wyman.
In singles, Fox got things going by defeating Alex Vuckovic 6-2, 7-6(3). Bekker then downed Craton 6-2, 7-6(4) and Pinsky clinched the victory beating Sratha Saengsuwarn 7-6(6), 6-1. Lok and Jimmy Fairbanks also won their matches.
Penn improves to 13-4 one the season and 1-0 in the Ivy League. Princeton drops to 4-9 overall and 0-1 in the Ivy League.
The Red and Blue host two more Ivy opponents next weekend. Penn welcomes No. 68 Brown on Friday, Apr. 7 at 2 p.m. and No. 66 Brown on Saturday, Apr. 8 at noon.
No. 50 Penn 6, Princeton 1
1. Jason Pinsky/Joseph Lok (P) def. Andrew Lieu/Hans Plukas (PR) 8-5
2. Jonathan Boym/Mikhail Bekker (P) def. Ted Mabrey/Alex Krueger-Wyman (PR) 8-5
3. Darius Craton/Shannon Morales (PR) def. Justin Fox/Brandon O'Gara (P) 8-2
1. Jason Pinsky (P) def. Sratha Saengsuwarn (PR) 7-6(6), 6-1
2. Mikhail Bekker (P) def. Darius Craton (PR) 6-2, 7-6(4)
3. Andrew Lieu (PR) def. Jonathan Boym (P) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
4. Joseph Lok (P) def. Hans Plukas (PR) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Justin Fox (P) def. Alex Vuckovic (PR) 6-2, 7-6(3)
6. Jimmy Fairbanks (P) def. Jonathan Leslie (PR) 6-2, 6-7(3), 1-0