SEATTLE, Wash. - After two tough loses in the previous two days, the University of Pennsylvania men's tennis capped off their final day of the USTA-ITA National Team Indoor Championships with a 4-2 win over No. 11 South Carolina on Sunday at the Seattle Tennis Center.
The Quakers started out the day by losing the first two doubles matches at the No. 1 and 2 spots. Jason Pinsky and Joseph Lok lost to Yevgeny Sapeko and Geraldo Knorr 8-5. Jonathan Boym and Mikkhail Bekker fell to Jaime Cueller and Tom Eklund 8-6 to lose the point.
The Red and Blue would quickly turn things around in singles play. After trailing Eklund 3-6, Pinsky would claw back and take the next two sets, 6-0, 6-3 to get Penn on the board. Boym, Justin Fox and Brandon O'Gara would all win their matches in straight sets to led the Quakers to victory. Bekker was the only Penn player not to finish his singles match.
The win evens up the Red and Blue at 4-4 overall. After three matches in three days and a cross country flight back to Philadelphia, the Quakers will not be in action again until Thursday, Feb. 23 when they host Rutgers at 4 p.m. at Levy Pavilion.
PENN 4 SOUTH CAROLINA 3
1. Yevgeny Sapeko/Geraldo Knorr (SC) def. Jason Pinsky/Joseph Lok (P) 8-5
2. Jaime Cueller/Tom Eklund (SC) def. Jonathan Boym/Mikhail Bekker (P) 8-6
3. Thomas Stoddard/Joe Veeter (SC) vs. Brandon O'Gara/Justin Fox (P) 6-5, DNF
1. Jason Pinsky (P) def. Tom Eklund (SC) 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. Mikhail Bekker (P) vs. Jaime Cueller (SC) 2-6, 7-5, DNF
3. Jonathan Boym (P) def. Yevgeny Sapeko (SC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Geraldo Knorr (SC) def. Joseph Lok (P) 6-4, 6-4
5. Justin Fox (P) def. Thomas Stoddard (SC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Brandon O'Gara (P) def. Joe Veeter (SC) 6-2, 6-2