BOISE, Idaho – It came down to the wire for the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team in a match with No. 72 Boise State on Saturday afternoon in the Boas Indoor Tennis Center. Locked in a tiebreaker, junior captain Vim De Alwis had too much determination and eventually came out on top in the nail-biter to give the No. 44 Quakers a 4-3 victory over the Broncos. The Red and Blue followed that win with another, topping No. 73 Utah 4-3. Penn is now 9-1 and will have one more home match before traveling to New Mexico for their Spring Break slate.
The Quakers began Saturday’s action against the Broncos with a 1-0 lead.
On Friday night, the two teams met on the courts for doubles play only. Senior captain Jeremy Court and freshman Nicholai Westergaard played at No. 1 doubles and made quick work of their opponents. Court and Westergaard’s serves were on point, as Westergaard closed it out with a strong serve, 6-2. Sophomore duo Matt Nardella and Marshall Sharp fell in a tough battle at No. 2, 7-6, but De Alwis and junior Blaine Willenborg brought home the win with a 6-3 victory at No. 3.
In singles action, Willenborg was first to take a set, winning it 6-0 at No. 5. De Alwis was the only other Quaker to take the first set, after winning the tiebreak, 7-6, at No. 1.
Boise State evened the score, winning at No. 6 singles. The tight contest continued between the two teams as both Nardella and freshman Josh Pompan forced third sets, at No. 3 and No. 4 respectively. Willenborg put the advantage back in the Quakers’ hands with a two-set (6-0, 7-6) win, but the Broncos responded right back with a win at No. 2 and then a win at No. 3.
Tied at 4-4, Pompan won the next game on a break and began serving for the match, where he was victorious and evened the overall score one final time at 3-3. All eyes then went to No. 1, where De Alwis had been fighting his way back from a 4-1 deficit in the third set. He began serving, down 4-5, and won the next game. But after that was when the heat cranked, as the two players stayed evenly matched and went into a tiebreak. Eventually, De Alwis came out on top, 14-12, for the match victory for Penn.
Later Saturday afternoon against Utah, the Quakers began singles play down 1-0, after dropping the doubles point. Junior Blaine Willenborg recorded his second first-set bagel of the day at No. 4 and went on to tie the overall score with a great forehand for a 6-2 second-set victory.
But the Utes came back and took victories at No. 1 and No. 3, to lead 3-1.
Playing tough, the Quakers continued to fight and sophomore Marshall Sharp was serving for match at No. 6. He dropped the first-set 7-5 but came out strong in the second and won 6-0. Sharp continued to play strong and won the third set, 6-3, to an overall 3-2 score.
It was down to No. 2 and No. 5, and both courts were in a tight third set.
After being down a break at No. 2, senior captain Jeremy Court had a break of his own to even the set at 3-3 and won the next game to hold then advantage. Freshman Josh Pompan was also up a game at No. 5, 3-2.
With a 5-4 lead, Court claimed a 6-4 third-set win to put all eyes on Pompan. Serving for the match at 5-3, Pompan came out on top, 6-3, and gave Penn the overall 4-3 win over the Utes.
No. 44 Penn 4, No. 72 Boise State 3
1. Jeremy Court/Nicholai Westergaard (PENN) def. Toby Mitchell/Garrett Patton (BSU) 6-2
2. Lewis Roskilly/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Matt Nardella/Marshall Sharp (PENN) 7-6 (7-2)
3. Vim De Alwis/Blaine Willenborg (PENN) def. Brian Foley/Abe Hewko (BSU) 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Vim De Alwis (PENN) def. Garrett Patton (BSU) 7-6 (7-1), 3-6, 7-6 (14-12)
2. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Jeremy Court (PENN) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Matt Nardella (PENN) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
4. Josh Pompan (PENN) def. Brian Foley(BSU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
5. Blaine Willenborg (PENN) def. Lewis Roskilly (BSU) 6-0, 7-6
6. Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Nicholai Westergaard (PENN) 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 5, 2, 3, 4, 1
No. 44 Penn 4, No. 73 Utah 3
1. Parker McGuiness/Matt Cowley (UTAH) def. Jeremy Court/Nicholai Westergaard (PENN) 6-4
2. Santiago Sierra/Johan Jonhagen (UTAH) def. Marshall Sharp/Matt Nardella (PENN) 6-3
3. Justin Archer/Jamey Swiggart (UTAH) vs. Blaine Willenborg/Vim De Alwis (PENN) 3-5, unfinished
1. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) def. Vim De Alwis (PENN) 6-2, 7-5
2. Jeremy Court (PENN) def. Matt Cowley (UTAH) 7-6 (7-5), 5-7, 6-4
3. Freddie McGeehan (UTAH) def. Matt Nardella (PENN) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
4. Blaine Willenborg (PENN) def. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 6-0, 6-2
5. Josh Pompan (PENN) def. Johan Jonhagen (UTAH) 7-6 (7-2), 5-7, 6-3
6. Marshall Sharp (PENN) def. Jamey Swiggart (UTAH) 5-7, 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 1, 3, 6, 2, 5
Download: MTN - Penn at BSU, 2-28-2015.pdf