No. 10 Women's Lacrosse Tamed by Princeton, 9-5

PRINCETON – No. 10 Penn had no answer for Princeton in the middle stages of the first half as the host Tigers rattled off five consecutive goals to build a 5-1 lead. From there, Princeton would hold off Penn as the Quakers suffered a 9-5 defeat at Sherrerd Field.

With the loss, Penn drops to 7-4 overall and 3-1 in the Ivy League. Princeton improves to 9-4 and 5-1 in the Ivy League.

The Red and Blue held Princeton scoreless for the first 20:49 of the second half and a total span of 25:33 after the Tigers scored their sixth goal of the game with 4:42 left in the first half, but Penn could not complete the comeback scoring just twice over that stretch.

Just before the midway point of the second half, a two-goal swing went Penn’s way as an apparent Erin McMunn goal for Princeton was called back as she was ruled to have stepped in the crease on the shot. The Quakers transitioned down the field after the turnover and the play found its way to Lindsey Smith who stepped into a shot and connected to close Penn’s deficit to one, 6-5, with 15:50 to play.

With just over 7:00 to play, Penn drew a free position attempt with a chance to close the gap, but elected to pull back and work for a better opportunity. Moments later, a Penn pass was picked off and Princeton charged down the field in transition. One minute later, Sarah Lloyd sent in Princeton’s eighth goal of the game and effectively iced the game. McMunn would tack on a ninth goal for Princeton 0:39 later.

The first goal out of halftime went Penn’s way as Dickinson snuck to the goalmouth and Bensen found her wide open for her third goal of the game just 4:29 into the second half. The hat trick was a career high for goals in a single game for the sophomore.

Cat Dickinson opened the scoring for Penn on an opportune play, taking advantage of a falling defender to slip out from behind the cage and slide in her third goal of the season 6:06 into the game.

After that goal, it was all Princeton as the Tigers scored five in a row to build a 5-1 lead. Penn had issues maintaining possession, coughing up the ball to the tune of six first-half turnovers and the Tigers made the Quakers pay. Erin Slifer scored first at the 9:08 mark to tie the game, 1-1, and then assisted on Princeton’s second goal 4:06 later as Anya Gersoff connected on her first of two goals in the opening period. Princeton again needed just over four minutes to tack on its next goal, Mary-Kate Sivilli scoring inside the right post at the 17:17 mark.

Gersoff would connect again to make it a 4-0 run for Princeton and force a Penn timeout, but the brief break did not stifle Princeton’s momentum as an Olivia Hompe goal completed a five-goal Princeton run.

The Quakers finally would maintain a bit of possession off the next draw control, and Dickinson deposited her second of the game from off the left post following a pass from Lindsey Smith. Moments later, Smith would score a similar goal as Tory Bensen snuck a pass across the fan to Smith who fired on the run to bring Penn back within two, 5-3, with 7:20 remaining in the half. Penn couldn’t climb any close in the first half, though, as Hompe scored with 4:42 remaining to send Penn to halftime trailing, 6-3.

Penn, which has played relatively clean lacrosse throughout the season, committed 13 turnovers – tied for second most committed by Penn in a single game in 2014 – to eight for the Tigers. The Quakers – who entered causing 9.4 turnovers-per-game only were able to force five by the Tigers.

The Quakers, who still control their own destiny for a record eighth consecutive Ivy title, return to Franklin Field for Senior Day on Saturday against Brown at 1 p.m.

Download: Princeton.pdf