PHILADELPHIA With an opportunity to stay undefeated in the Ivy League and pick up a huge win over a higher ranked opponent, the No. 41 University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team lost to No. 15 Harvard 5-2 in a match that was schedule to be played outside, but was forced inside due to scattered showers in the area. Julia Koulbitskaya and Caroline Stanislawski picked up the Quakers only points in the match.
After being swept in doubles, the Red and Blue were forced to play from behind in singles. After Alexis Plukas lost to Laura Peterzan at the No. 3 position, Koulbitskaya picked up Penn’s first win and cut the deficit to 2-1 by beating Elsa O’Riain 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 2 spot. Yulia Rivelis lost to Eva Wang, at the No. 1 position, in straight sets to give the Crimson a two point advantage. Stephanie Schnitter then downed Raluca Ciochina 7-6(5), 6-2 to clinch the match. Stanislawski defeated Cindy Chu for the Quakers second point.
The Red and Blue fall to 9-5 overall and 3-1 in the Ancient Eight. Harvard improves to 14-6 overall and are now the Ivy League’s only undefeated team remaining at 3-0.
Penn hosts Dartmouth on Saturday at noon at Lott Courts.
No. 15 Harvard 5, No. 41 Penn 2
1. Elsa O'Riain/Melissa Anderson (H) def. Julia Koulbitskaya/Yulia Rivelis (P) 8-4
2. Eva Wang/Stephanie Schnittner (H) def. Alexis Plukas/Raluca Ciochina (P) 9-7
3. Laura Peterzan/Catriona Stewart (H) def. Caroline Stanislawski/Michelle Mitchell (P) 8-6
1. Eva Wang (H) def. Yulia Rivelis (P) 6-4, 6-2
2. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Elsa O'Riain (H) 6-3, 6-2
3. Laura Peterzan (H) def. Alexis Plukas (P) 6-2, 6-0
4. Melissa Anderson (H) def. Michelle Mitchell (P) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Stephanie Schnitter (H) def. Raluca Ciochina (P) 7-6(5), 6-2
6. Caroline Stanislawski (P) def. Cindy Chu (H) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0(7)