COLLEGE PARK, Md. – On the road at 54th-ranked Maryland on Sunday, the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team finished the weekend off with a split, falling 5-2 to the Terrapins after defeating Richmond 5-2 on Saturday in Philadelphia.
Penn (5-2) dropped the doubles point for just the second time all season, and trailed Maryland early, 1-0.
The Quakers held the advantage at the beginning of singles play, winning the first set in four matches. Senior Sol Eskenazi, junior Sonya Latycheva, freshman Lina Qostal, and sophomore Luba Vazhenina each led their individual match early on.
Of the four, Latycheva was the only one able to take advantage of the early lead against Maryland (6-4), winning her individual match in straight sets 6-3, 6-4.
In the third position Penn’s Kana Daniel dropped her first set before rallying back to win in three 1-6, 6-2, 6-1.
The Quakers have one more home match before heading out west to Arizona and Nevada during spring break. Penn hosts Akron at 11 a.m. Friday inside the Hecht Tennis Center.
Maryland 5, Penn 2
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) vs. Luus/Stanova (M); 6-5, DNF
2. Tour/Hovsepyan (M) def. Daniel/Vaidya (P); 6-3
3. Bredikhina, O./Bredikhina, N. (M) def. Ion/Qostal (P); 6-2
1. Stanova (M) def. Eskenazi (P); 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Latycheva (P) def. Tour (M); 6-3, 6-4
3. Daniel (P) def. Bredikhina, N. (M); 1-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Luus (M) def. Vaidya (P); 7-5, 6-1
5. Bredikhina, O. (M) def. Qostal (P); 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Gaudreault (M) def. Vazhenina (P); 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish
Doubles – 2, 3, 1(DNF)
Singles – 2, 4, 3, 6, 1, 5