PHILADELPHIA On Saturday in the Hecht Tennis Center, the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team collected two more wins to improve to 14-3 this spring. In a tournament style day of play, the No. 61 Quakers first defeated Temple 5-0 in the morning and then later topped Claremont-Mudd-Scripps in the afternoon, 6-1. Georgetown also joined the competition, playing CMS and Temple. It was the last day of nonconference opponents for the Red and Blue before opening the Ivy season with Princeton next weekend.
Penn started the morning with the Owls, playing one doubles and five singles. With all matches being played at once, the Quakers made quick work of their Philadelphia rival and improved their overall series record to 23-0.
After the conclusion of the match, Georgetown and Clarement-Mudd-Scripps took the courts. The Stags defeated the Hoyas and readied to play the Red and Blue, while Georgetown faced Temple afterwards.
No. 2 doubles pair junior Zach Lessen and sophomore Thomas Spratt quickly earned the first point of the match with a 6-0, 6-1 win, but CMS tied the score at one-all with a victory at No. 5. However, the Quakers went on to take 3, 4, 2, and 1 singles to clinch the win.
With a second set win and the match already determined, junior Austin Kaplan and freshman Nicholai Westergaard decided to play out the final set in a tiebreaker to 10 with their opponents at No. 1 doubles. In an exchange of exciting points back and forth, the Red and Blue finally came out on top 10-7.
Freshman Nicolas Podesta is now 8-0 this spring, while fellow freshman Josh Pompan continues to stay on top with the most wins at 14-2 and has improved his match-win streak to 11. Junior Blaine Willenborg has also added to his own win streak. He recorded his tenth win in a row after winning at No. 2 singles against CMS. Willenborg now boasts a 12-1 record.
No. 61 Penn 5, Temple 0
1. Kaplan/Spratt (Penn) def.Glessing/Januvka (Temple) 6-1, 6-3
1. Nicolas Podesta (Penn) def. Santiago Canete (Temple) 6-1, 6-3
2. Blaine Willenborg (Penn) vs. Nicolas Paulus (Temple) 7-5, 1-1 DNF
3. Josh Pompan (Penn) def. Hicham Belkssir (Temple) 6-3, 6-2
4. Matt Nardella (Penn) def. Vineet Naran (Temple) 6-3, 7-5
5. Zach Lessen (Penn) def. Filip Stipcic (Temple) 6-0, 6-4
No. 61 Penn 6, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 1
1. Kaplan/Westergaard (Penn) def. Dorn/Morkovine (CMS) 5-7, 7-5, (10-7)
2. Lessesn/Spratt def. Mehall/Shankar (CMS) 6-0, 6-1
1. Nicolas Podesta (Penn) def. Warren Wood (CMS) 6-2, 7-6
2. Blaine Willenborg (Penn) def. Skyler Butts (CMS) 6-3, 6-1
3. Josh Pompan (Penn) def. Nikolas Marino (CMS) 6-0, 6-3
4. Matt Nardella (Penn) def. Max Macey (CMS) 7-5, 6-4
5. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Marshall Sharp (Penn) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2D, 5, 3, 4, 2S, 1S, 2D