PHILADELPHIA – With more than 900 varsity student-athletes and 33 varsity programs, there are many amazing stories which weave the fabric of Athletics at the University of Pennsylvania. During the 2016-17 seasons, those stories will come to life on Philadelphia’s Comcast family of networks via seasonal Penn Athletics Previews Shows produced by the Penn Sports Network.
At the beginning of the fall, winter and spring sports seasons, the Penn Sports Network will bring viewers inside the Red and Blue with insight into the values that make Penn Athletics a destination for the best and brightest student-athletes from around the world.
Up first, a look at the teams prepared to set the tone for Penn Athletics this fall. Sports are about building a community – whether it is inside the walls of a team’s locker room or in a far-reaching region of Africa. Community matters at Penn Athletics, and the first installment of the Penn Athletics Preview Show will lead fans on a journey alongside some of the greatest community builders who lay the foundation of Quaker Nation.
• Vhito DeCapria and Penn Football How does a young boy go from the depths of cancer treatment to becoming a pint-sized source of inspiration for a first-year head coach and the eventual Ivy League champions?
• Zack DiGregorio and Penn Sprint Football Family comes first for Zack DiGregorio as he raises awareness and funds through Derek’s Dreams – an organization named after his younger brother who suffers from Ataxia Telangiectasia, a rare genetic disease which affects muscular control. Together, the brothers have tackled A-T head on and are making moves towards a cure.
• Kerry Carr and Erica Higa Bring the Penn Community to Rwanda A pair of women from different Penn programs banded together this summer to bring the Red and Blue to an African nation. Volleyball head coach Kerry Carr and women’s soccer player Erica Higa traveled with Penn Engineering’s Rwanda/Gashora Program to Africa to focus on developing solar energy while sharing their love of sport with new friends.
• Tanner Falato and Men’s Soccer Sometimes, a late signing can make all the difference in a team’s season. Just before the start of the 2015 campaign, men’s soccer added Tanner Falato – a young boy from New Jersey who was in the final minutes of a winning battle against cancer. Now, that friendship extends beyond the pitch and will last a lifetime.
• Girls on the Run, Penn Field Hockey Style A program on the rise, Penn Field Hockey is venturing into Philadelphia to extend its exciting brand of competition to Philly’s young females. Focused on empowering the next generation of female student-athletes, the Quakers are making an impact which will last for years to come.
Penn Athletics Fall Preview Show Schedule
Thursday, September 1 - The Comcast Network, 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 3 - Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, Noon
Wednesday, September 7 - The Comcast Network, 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 10 - Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, 3:30 p.m.
Friday, September 16 - The Comcast Network, 7 p.m.
In addition to the airings on the Philadelphia Comcast family of networks, Penn fans can watch the show via the Ivy League Digital Network (ILDN) for free starting Thursday, Sept. 1 at 6:30 p.m. EST