PHILADELPHIA – Bob Mlkvy ’61, captain of the 1961 University of Pennsylvania men’s basketball team and a member of both the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame and the Big Five Hall of Fame, passed away on July 22 at the age of 77.
Mlkvy still ranks No. 9 all-time in career scoring average by a Quaker with his 15.8 ppg over his career. In 1959-60 and 1960-61, Mlkvy put together two of the finest seasons in the history of Penn Basketball – he led the Red and Blue in scoring, rebounding, field goal% and free throw% in each season.
“Penn Basketball lost a tremendous representative of what it means to be a Quaker with the passing of Bob Mlkvy," said John R. Rockwell Head Coach of Men's Basketball Steve Donahue. "His dedication to his family, his community, and the sport of basketball serve as great examples of what we want our current generation of Penn players to aspire to. His passion for his alma mater and Penn Basketball will be missed.”
• 2014 Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame Inductee
• 1998 Big Five Hall of Fame Inductee
• Two-Time First-Team All-Big Five Selection (1959-60, 1960-61)
• 1959-60 First-Team All-Ivy
• 1960-61 Second-Team All-Ivy
• Two-Time Team MVP (1959-60, 1960-61)
• 1960-61 Team Captain
• Led the Quakers in scoring in 1959-60 (18.9 ppg) and 1960-61 (14.3 ppg)
• Only seven Quakers since 1959-60 have averaged more points-per-game in a season
• Led the Quakers in rebounding in 1959-60 and 1960-61 with an average of 10.0 rpg both seasons
• Only four Quakers since 1960-61 have averaged 10.0 rebounds-per-game in a season
A Memorial Service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 30, 2016, at St. John's Episcopal Church, 365 Lafayette Avenue, Palmerton, Pa. 18071, with the Rev. Fr. Abraham J. Valiath officiating. Interment will follow with Military Honors in Towamensing Cemetery, Palmerton, Pa. According to the Mlkvy family's wishes, in lieu of flowers contributions may be made in his memory to the charity of your choice.