Penn Comes Back on Dartmouth, 10-9

Box Score

HANOVER, N.H. - The University of Pennsylvania men's lacrosse team has made a habit of coming back on its opponents this season, but even by the Quakers' standards Saturday was quite a performance.

Playing on Dartmouth's Scully-Fahey Field, the ninth-ranked Quakers fell behind the Big Green 6-1 after just one minute was gone in the second quarter and were still down 7-3 late in the first half. However, they rallied for the final goal before the break, scored the only two goals of the third quarter, then punctuated a fantastic finish when D.J. Andrzejewski scored his second goal of the day with 36 seconds left to play -- just six seconds after Dartmouth's Brian Koch had tied things up.

Penn (8-1, 3-1 Ivy League) now sets the stage for a showdown Tuesday night with No. 6 Princeton. Faceoff in Princeton, N.J. will come at 7 p.m.

Dartmouth (4-5, 0-1 Ivy) scored less than two minutes into the game thanks to Koch, and after James Riordan tied things up the Big Green went on a five-goal run including two that came in the final minute of the first quarter. After Brad Heritage and Nick Bonacci scored in the first minute of the second quarter, the Big Green led 6-1.

Penn began its comeback three minutes later, when Drew Collins scored an unassisted goal and then P.J. Gilbert finished a David Cornbrooks feed on the man-up situation. Exactly six minutes went by before Dartmouth's Jamie Coffin scored his second of the day, but Collins again scored unassisted to send the teams into the half with Dartmouth up, 7-4.

Penn outshot Dartmouth, 12-7, in the third quarter (and 38-31 on the day) and came up with the only two goals of the stanza. Alan Eberstein scored immediately off the second-half face-off, and then Cornbrooks scored unassisted with 11:26 left in the third.

More than a quarter would go by before either team scored, but with 11:21 left in regulation Craig Andrzejewski scored unassisted to tie the game. Then, just 21 seconds later, D.J. Andrzejewski took a feed from Eberstein and beat Dartmouth goalkeeper Pat Marshall to give Penn an 8-7 lead and cap a five-goal Quaker run.

Heritage tied things up with 7:31 left, but less than a minute later Cornbrooks put Penn back on top with an assist going to Craig Andrzejewski. That set the stage for the final minute, as Koch finished a feed from Bonacci with 42 seconds left before Andrzejewski's game-winner just six seconds later.

Cornbrooks had two goals and an assist for Penn, while Collins had two goals. At the other end, Gregory Klossner came up with 10 saves, while his Dartmouth counterpart Marshall had 12 stops. Penn won 12 of the game's 21 faceoffs, including five of six in the fourth quarter.