PHILADELPHIA - In their first home match of the 2007 season, the women’s tennis team pulled out a big win, as they beat Richmond, 6-1, to improve to 2-0.
In singles, freshman Ekaterina Kosminskaya had an easy win at the No. 1 spot, beating Pamela Duran, 6-0, 6-0, in the quickest match of the day. Junior co-captain Yulia Rivelis recovered from a shaky start, to pull off a 6-3, 6-3 victory in the No. 2 spot over Richmond’s Robin Carter, while junior co-captain Julia Koulbitskaya also had a win in the No. 3 spot, as she beat Beatrice Grasu, 6-4, 7-5. Sophomore Lenka Snajdrova lost in her Penn debut, as she fell 6-0, 6-2 to Ashlee Vosters in the No. 4 spot. Another Quaker making her home debut, freshman Maria Anismova, pulled out a tough win in the No.5 spot. She beat Xenia Schneider, 6-7(7), 6-3, 6-3. And junior Michelle Mitchell had a hard-fought win in the No. 6 spot, as she beat Jessica Hubbard, 6-3, 7-4(4).
Kosminskaya and Anismova also had a big victory in the No.1 doubles spot, as they beat Grasu and Carter, 8-4. Rivelis and Koulbitskaya had a tough match at the No. 2 doubles spot, as they went down 7-1, and battled back, but lost, 8-5. And junior transfer Charlotte Tansill teamed up with Snajdrova to take home an 8-4 win in the No. 3 doubles spot, beating Jelena Zivanovic and Hubbard.
Up next, the Quaker will host a tough weekend schedule, as they take on Marshall, Friday Feb. 9 at 3 p.m., and East Tennessee State Saturday, Feb. 10 at 1 p.m. Both matches will take place in Levy Tennis Pavilion.
1) Ekaterina Kosminskaya/Maria Anismova (Penn) def. Beatrice Grasu/Robin Carter (Richmond) 8-4
2)Pamela Duran/Ashlee Vosters (Richmond)def. Yulia Rivelis/Julia Koulbitskaya 8-5
3) Charlotte Tansill/Lenka Snajdrova (Penn) def. Jelena Zivanovic/Jessica Hubard 8-4
1) Ekaterina Kosminskaya (Penn) def. Pamela Duran (Richmond) 6-0, 6-0
2) Yulia Rivelis (Penn) def. Robin Carter (Richmond) 6-3, 6-3
3) Julia Koulbitskaya (Penn) def. Beatrice Grasu, 6-4, 7-5
4) Ashlee Vosters (Richmond) def. Lenka Snajdrova (Penn) 6-0, 6-2
5) Maria Anismova (Penn) def. Xenia Schneider 6-7(7), 6-3, 6-3
6) Michelle Mitchell (Penn) def. Jessica Hubbard 6-3, 7-4(4)