Princeton Outlasts MLax in Double OT, 6-5


Philadelphia - The Penn men's lacrosse team sawits chance of ending a 15-game losing streak to Princeton slip away when Jason Donegar netted the game winner in the second overtime period to give the Tigers a 6-5 victory at Franklin Field. The Quakers tied the game at five when James Riordan found the back of the net off a pass from Brian Amen with 7:14 left in regulation. The Red and Blue outshot the Tigers, 6-1,throughout both overtime sessions, but Princeton's one shot would prove to be all it needed.

"We played as hard as we could today," Head Coach Brian Voelker said. "Obviously we had some breakdowns where we turned the ball over on offense and that gave Princeton a couple of extra opportunities. Both teams really wanted it, and needless to say, we are very, very disappointed."

The teams traded goals most of the way through regulation. Princeton got on the scoreboard quickly, scoring just 48 seconds into the game. Penn evened the score at one with just nine seconds left to play in the first quarter when Luke Wilson fed Alan Eberstein for the goal. Penn took a 2-1 advantage at 13:05 of the second when Garrett Blomquist's shot went into the net, but Princeton answered witha man-up goal less than two minutes later to tie the game at two. The Tigers scored two more goals in the end of the second and took a 4-2 lead into halftime.

"At halftime, I really put it to these guys to get their heads together," Voelker continued. "We didn't play our best defensively in the first half. I think we really regrouped in the second half; Denis (Cole) did a good job in goal and we worked hard to get the goals that we did. It just came down to that very last one, and unfortunately, it wasn't ours."

Penn outscored the Tigers, 2-1, in the third quarter with goals from Luke Dixson (6:50)and Mark Becker (1:59) to bring the Quakers within one goal before Riordan tied the game in the fourth -the only goal that quarter. Dixson and Riordan each had a shot in the final 30 seconds of regulation.

The Red and Blue picked up its intensity level even higher in the first overtime, recording four shotsand practically suffocating Princeton's offense, which did not get off a shot. In the second overtime, Princeton went on the defensive and allowed only two Penn shots in front of the net before coming down and scoring the game-winner with 1:43 left.

With the loss, the Quakers fall to 1-8 on the season and 0-4 in the Ancient Eight. The win was the first of the season for Princeton. Penn is back in action on Sunday, April 10 against Dartmouth at Franklin Field. Game time is 12 p.m.

Written by Carla Zighelboim